Rap News :: Juice Media. News commentary done as rap. Published online out of Australia and generally done from a left-wing/anarchistic perspective. Anchored by the character Robert Foster and featuring several other characters who are personifications of various things that are wrong in the world: General Baxter (the American war machine), Terrance Moonseed (conspiracy theories), Ken Oathcarn (Australian right-wingers), and Bill De Berg (global capitalism).
The show (in)famously featured Jullian Assange don a mullet and sing a lyrically altered rendition of an Australian golden oldie as part of his campaign for the Australian senate. The skit was a joke, but was portrayed by several media outlets as a for-real campaign ad.
Provides examples of the following tropes:
- An Aesop: At the end of every segment is a summary, usually delivering one of these.
- Berserk Button: Opposition to Israeli settlements even at the slightest is this for Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: Glenn Beck shot himself offscreen to avoid capture by rebels.
- Big Bad: William De Berg (often shortened to Bill De Berg) basically fills this role for the series, being the representative of the New World Order and has been shown to act as a Greater-Scope Villain, being shown to control many different parties from the Federal Court to the FCC and even at one point refers to a group consisting of a tabloid journalist, a Presidential candidate and a Prime Minister as his faithful minions. There is also the fact that as noted below under Downer Ending the series ends with him taking over as host.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Terence Moonseed, Alex Jones
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Rupert Murdoch, William De Berg
- Downer Ending: Trump vs Hillary. Robert Foster has been replaced as host by Bill de Berg, who does a great job at highlighting how terrible both of the main candidates are.
- Evil Laugh: The Chinese Minister of Energy 'Wai So Dim' after he considered using Tibetan monks as fuel. Also, Ivan Sakamumev after mentioning the detention of Pussy Riot.
- Fan Disservice: Tony Abbott was portrayed as having a hairy chest.
- Fantastic Drug: Irony Guard. Removes all the painful irony so you can go about your day.
- Knight In Shining Armour: How Glenn Greenwald styled himself.
- Mad Scientist: Dr Scott Ridley and Ray Kurzweil were portrayed as this.
- Mr. Fanservice: Tony Abbott claimed to have sex appeal. Subverted Trope, as shown on the Fan Disservice entry above.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Except perhaps their reputations...
- Oh, Crap!: Mitt Romney and Barack Obama when they saw Robert burn his set of pre-approved questions during his imaginary set of debates between the two presidential candidates.
- Old Media Are Evil: Hey, it's New Media, what do you expect.
- One Nation Under Copyright: Hillary Clinton treated the United States like one.
- Playful Hacker: Julian Assange
- Strawman News Media: Brian Washington of MSMBS.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Dr Norman Finkelstein gave Benjamin Netanyahu a sharp rebuke upon being called an 'Ashke-Nazi'.
- The Alcoholic: How Glenn Beck was portrayed.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Julia Gillard was force choked to death by Lord Baxter on Episode 13. She reappeared on Episode 20 only to be shot by Kevin Rudd.
- Villainous Breakdown: Glenn Beck when rebels begun storming his studio.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Julian Assange and General Baxter played this on each other: