Since its creation, the community of the site has grown large and (in)famous enough for many members to join on their own accord. Today, many members have never even played Garry's Mod, and joined for the sake of the community.
The forum is so large that it is quite possible to be a well known and respected member in one thread, and be completely alienated and unknown in the next thread in the same subforum. Some simply join the community, just for a single section of the forum, where they may reside, only appearing in other forums once in a while. However, most of the regular users tend to use the same subforums such as General Discussion and Fast Threads, meaning that the respected users are tend to be well known in general. Garry himself is known to appear in threads at random, either dooming the thread or making an incoherent remark.
The Facepunch Forums have always allowed for the playing of Forum RPs. Below is a list of all the RPs that were hosted on Facepunch that have their own pages:
Facepunch Studios also serves as the name of Garry's development studio. They've created the following games:
This website provides examples of:
- A Darker Me: Facepunch users tend to associate each other as basement dwelling nerds. To not be called out as one can be seen as an achievement.
- Gas Mask Mooks: Photos of members wearing gas masks to hide their identity, or just to look "cool" are very common.
- Get Out!: The "Toad Leave" emoticon, being a reference to Something Awful's own GET OUT Frog basically amounts to this.
- Visual Pun: The "Dumb" rating often given to unsavory posts is commonly thought to be based around the idiom "thinking outside the box" hence the icon being that of a cardboard box.
- Wretched Hive: There is a reason why OIFY stands for "Only I Fucked You."