You start out by adopting an egg, most of which are dragon eggs (the only exception is the Dino). You then raise it by letting people visit your dragon and age, sounds like traditional adoptable fare. You can adopt up to seven dragons, or release dragons to free up a slot. The current dragon breeds are Western Dragon, Eastern Dragon, Furdragon, Wyvern, Lizardus, Dino (not really a dragon), Petrodragon, Felidragon, Dark Dragon, Plesiodragon, and Canidragon. The sprites for all the breeds can be found here.
Each dragon is of a certain element and produces "aura" of that element: blue aura for water, red for fire, etc. They also produce "Dragon Scales", "Dragon Fur" or "Reptile Scales". These resources could be used to buy items, and even bonus elements and a certain item.
All the site's artwork was done by the admin Thaz. The site also had an art gallery where users can put up sprite edits, or full-out fanart on the website.
Dragon Adopters shut down in September 2013.
Dragon Adopters provides examples of the following tropes:
- Breath Weapon: Western dragons, FeliDragons and Dark dragons are known to breathe fire.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: The Web site used to have the donation-only item "Dragon Coins", which sold for US$8 for 10 coins. Subverted, though, they since have been removed for unknown reasons and can be bought with large amounts of resources instead. Dragon Coins can be used to buy an extra slot, or a special item for Dark Dragons.
- Color-Coded Wizardry: Somewhat; each dragon is usually a color that goes with its element.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Dark Dragons are good examples of this.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: The Dinos/Raptors.
- Elemental Powers
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: ...Yeah.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Indeed. Never seen a 'FelidDragon' before.
- Unlockable Content: There are a few things that qualify as this. Element-changing powders, for one.