BuzzFeed, Inc. is an American digital media company. Originally founded in 2006 by Jonah Peretti and John S. Johnson III to track viral content, it expanded into a source for viral content in its own right — the site became known for online quizzes, articles tapping into pop culture, and list-type articles ("listicles"). They have since expanded into their own video division, a short-lived podcasts division, and an investigative news division.
The website produces daily content from staff writers and community contributors, and receives most of its traffic from social media shares.
BuzzFeed and similar websites also inspired the trope Shallow News Site Satire.
BuzzFeed-affiliated works and creators with their own pages:
- Dear Kitten
- Buzzfeed Unsolved
- Buzzfeed Worth It
- The Good Advice Cupcake
- Ruining History
- The Try Guys
Tropes found on this website:
- Cooking Show: BuzzFeed Tasty is a line of cooking videos shot from up top, showing food preparation with accompanying text.
- First Snow: "Australians See Snow For the First Time", where Australians are sent to the US to experience snow.
- Grossout Fakeout: In one video, Zach accidentally walks in on Justin changing. He spends most of the video embarrassed, and at one point, he sees Justin eating a banana and, due to how it's positioned, thinks Justin is pantsless again.Zach: (screams)Justin: "It's just a banana."
- Lookalike Lovers: Defied: showing up and realizing that your date looks like and dressed exactly like you is one of the titular "Dating Problems Every Lesbian Will Recognize".Girl: Like, I'm narcissistic but I'm not gonna have sex with myself.
- Precious Puppy: They have a line of videos where celebrities answer fan questions while playing with adorable puppies that are usually up for adoption.
- Reference Overdosed: Overall, their content will cover anything and everything pop culture-related: from this quiz about which Tiger King character you are and this quiz about sorting BTS members into Hogwarts houses, to this list of toys from the '80s.