Addventure is a collaborative Round Robin Gamebook website. It started life in 1988 as a BBS program by Allen S. Firstenberg and was ported to the Web in 1994. It has been inactive since 2000, but strangely has managed to stay online. note
The website hosts three adventures, each of which begin with a protagonist finding themselves in a strange place. In Round Robin fashion, the story then branches out into paragraphs written collectively by Internet users. The original intention was to see what kind of a story would come out of this. We'll spoil it for you: the results are utter madness.
It is currently not possible to add new pages, and most likely it will never be.
This work contains examples of the following tropes:
- Ontological Mystery: Starting point of all the addventures.
- Portmantitle: "add" + "adventure"
- Round Robin
- Running Gag: Every of the three available games begins with the protagonist standing before a staircase and having to decide whether to go up or down.
- Sturgeon's Law: In general, the farther a page is from the start, the more incoherent it is.
- World of Chaos: Pretty much every adventure degenerates into madness within the first few pages.