Witchy is a Webcomic written and drawn by Ariel Ries, set in a fantasy world called Hyalin where hair length dictates magic power. Short haired people are looked down on, but those with hair that is considered too long are considered dangerous and are put to death. Powerful enough witches are conscripted into the Witch Guard, who serve as soldiers during war and peacekeepers in peacetime. The protagonist, Nyneve, is bullied for her short hair and lackluster magic ability. However, she keeps a terrible secret — her hair is actually so long that she is terrified of being put to death or conscripted.
Witchy updates every Tuesday and can be read here.
Now has a character sheet.
Witchy contains examples of:
- Big, Thin, Short Trio: Batu, Prill, and Nyneve respectively.
- Burn the Witch!: A twist, in that everyone has some degree of magic power, but society burns witches who possess too much power.
- Conscription: Nyneve and her classmates are fast approaching the date of their graduation trial. If they perform well enough, they will be conscripted into the Witch Guard for several years.
- Curse Cut Short: Page 65.Prill: Are you telling me, that your medimages ... can't handle treating a GIRL with a —Teacher: What in the world is going on here?
- Fantasy Webcomics
- Flashback: The prologue is a flashback to the fate of Nyneve's father, which explains a lot about her present-day attitudes and anxieties.
- Magic Hair: Everyone in Hyalin is magical, and the strength of their magic is determined by the length of their hair. Cutting your hair is strictly forbidden.
- Magic Wand: Witches use them as scopes to focus their power, but Nyneve dislikes them
- Oh, Crap!: When the soldiers guarding Nyneve's mom realize no one's been feeding her.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: Hyalin tries to come off like a modern, fair society, but it's conscripting teenagers into the military based on their skill, and actively executes those deemed too powerful. Life may be peaceful in Hyalin, but books are banned and the government erases history to fit their own narratives.
- Released to Elsewhere: Subverted—the government makes no effort to hide its persecution of those with hair deemed too long.
- Talking Animal: Nyneve is accompained by Banana, a talking Raven, from Chapter 4 onwards. Jung is also accompained by one which calls him father
- Wizarding School: The main trio attended one before conscription.