The beautiful Athanasia was killed at the hands of her own biological father, Claude de Alger Obelia, the cold-blooded emperor!
"It's just a silly bedtime story."
Until one woman wakes up to suddenly find she's become that unfortunate princess! She needs a plan to survive her doomed fate, and time is running out. Will she go with Plan A, live as quietly as possible without being noticed by the infamous emperor? Plan B, collect enough money to escape the palace? Or will she be stuck with plan C, sweet-talking her way into her father's good graces?!
Originally a web novel, Who Made Me A Princess, or alternatively known as Suddenly I Became A Princess, is a transmigration story where the heroine, a normal orphaned woman, becomes the tragic princess, Athanasia and work herself to change the story and prevent the unfortunate fate of the princess that she suffered from the original story. The story is written by Plutus and the Manhwa is illustrated by illustrator Spoon.
This page Needs Wiki Magic Love
This Webtoon contains examples of:
- A Certain Point of View: The current Athanasia has this problem because she only had the original story, "The Lovely Princess", as reference regarding how the characters around her will act. Even as she bonds with others and came to see Claude as a father, she still has her guard up. Though this does help her be a little Genre Savvy.
- Adaptation Expansion: In a literal sense, the story that unfolds in the current Athanasia's universe actually expanded and elaborated on events from the original story that would explain how things led to the original Athanasia's demise.
- Alternate Universe: What our Athanasia's world had become and in the final book of the webnovel, it involved our Athanasia being sent to the original "The Lovely Princess" universe to fix what went wrong.
- Bishounen: In the webtoon, the men introduced are really good looking.
- Becoming the Mask: The current Athanasia started acting as a cheerful Daddy's Girl for her survival but eventually, she finds herself starting to see her father, the supposed Big Bad of the original Athanasia's tragic story, as her family and parent after going through a long, slow process of Defrosting Ice King. And that reason is why the current Athanasia is terribly hurt that her progress got back to square one because of Claude sacrificed his memories of her in his attempt to bring her back after suffering from a magic rampage that almost killed her. While he did get to recover the memories he had of his daughter, what followed after that is definitely not so pleasant for our Athanasia.
- The Cameo: Cabel Erenst is a character and lead from the author, Plutus' older works.
- Death by Childbirth: How Athanasia's mother died. Her death prompted Claude to erase any memories related to her and neglected on Athanasia's presence in the first place.
- Doomed by Canon: Athanasia's fate in the original novel, and what the current Athanasia worked so hard to prevent.
- Downer Beginning: The first episode opens with the novel version of Anastasia begging her father to love her, and Claude coldly refusing.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The story ends with the current Athanasia and Claude finally affirming that they are both father and child, but they have to go through a whole lot of hell to get there.
- Esoteric Happy Ending: In-Universe regarding the ending of "The Lovely Princess", in the webtoon. This is discussed by our current Athanasia after she met a Black Magician practitioner who told her of the consequences of creating a child through black magic, it is followed by herself getting a dream of the very Ascended Fridge Horror of that consequence revealing that the ending of "The Lovely Princess" isn't as happy as one would think...
- Foreshadowing: A whole layer of it that would explain and lead to what caused the original Athanasia's doom.
- The first example is Claude's subtle kindness to our Athanasia and the dreams she get of Diana hinted to the reason why Claude neglected but still spared Athanasia to start with, the same applying to the original novel "The Lovely Princess" as well.
- Lucas talks of how the story of Aethernitas felt like sham and how his favorite character is the Black magician. Lucas is later revealed to be the one and only Black Magician of the tower. Oh, and his talk of wanting to eat Blackie, the holy beast made of Athanasia's mana? The final book in the webnovel contains a side story which reveals that he did just that to replenish his mana in the original universe, leaving the original Athanasia incapable of performing magic.
- Lucas called Jenette a "Chimera". This is a hint to Jenette's true origin as a child created with black magic and how she is actually Claude's niece instead of being his true daughter.
- For Want of a Nail: The current Athanasia pulling strings and working to prevent her Doomed by Canon fate brought many subtle, but big changes that affect how her story ended:
- Meeting a 5 year old Athanasia instead of a 9 year old one is what prompted Claude to finally and slowly accept her as his daughter and release the memory erasing magic he placed on himself to forget about Athanasia's birth mother.
- Because Claude now only cared for Athanasia it drove a wrench on the plans Izekiel's father had to control the throne and made plans that sent Athanasia to a magic rampage that almost killed her, prompting Claude to do what he can to save his daughter... at the cost of the attachment he had for her in the aftermath, and things went a little bit downhill for our Athanasia following that.
- Jenette's aunt, Rosaria, is said to have died from an accident instead when she was still around during the original story, since Athanasia is officially recognized as the princess and Claude's daughter, so Jenette wasn't aware of the fact that she is actually Claude's niece until the Awful Truth is slapped to her face much later.
- Hidden Depths: Another factor in the current Athanasia's world is revealing what goes on underneath the characters shown in the original novel, "The Lovely Princess".
- High Fantasy: Magic existed in the medieval setting the story takes place in.
- I Have No Daughter: In the original "The Lovely Princess" novel, Claude states that he never saw Anastasia as his daughter.
- Isekai: Part of the premise is that a modern world orphaned woman, Lee Jihye is reincarnated as the tragic princess Athanasia after she read the original novel, "The Lovely Princess" some time before she got reincarnated.
- Not Blood Siblings: Played With. Athanasia and Jennete are related to each other. But Jenette is actually Claude's niece, not his biological daughter through his ex-fiancee.
- Offing the Offspring: Claude killed Anastasia in the original novel, "The Lovely Princess".
- Parental Neglect: Claude put Anastasia in the Ruby place as a baby to forget about her.
- Parents as People: Claude's Parental Neglect on Athanasia is mostly because he is too grief stricken by the death of Diana to actually care for her and by the time Athanasia is 9 in the original story, he had all but forgotten about her due to his use of memory erasing magic to ease himself out of his grief and a part of him partially blamed her for Diana dying from childbirth.
- Parody Sue: Jenette, at first, is introduced as a sweet girl with good qualities and lovable in the original book, "The Lovely Princess". In the current world, expansion of the world, how things are very different, along with Hidden Depths, reveal that Jenette has been using subtle black magic without her knowing that she had been using black magic so people would like her and single out others, the original Athanasia being a victim of it, and she is raised as a very sheltered Naïve Everygirl that it makes her susceptible to be an Unwitting Pawn. And since she is born through usage of black magic, she also eventually brought bad luck towards the people she wanted to be a family to, namely Claude and Athanasia, before she suffered from that bad luck herself.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: For all his ruthlessness, many of the citizens at least agreed that Claude makes a far more effective ruler than his predecessors.
- Rewatch Bonus: The many Foreshadowing in place such as Claude using black magic on himself in his grief and the circumstances of Jenette's birth makes re-reading the series, be it the webtoon or webnovel, much more layered and can explain how those factors ended up causing the Novel Athanasia to be Doomed by Canon.
- Second Love: Claude might have tried to forget Diana by erasing his memories of her, but it was only due to the fact that he loves Diana so much that he was overcome with so much grief after her death. Not much is known about Diana and Claude's history but he first saw Diana in Siodonna. She was a dancer at that time and managed to caught Claude's attention. The only thing revealed in the story is that Diana is the one who made Claude love again after Penelope's betrayal and her death is the reason why Claude became so neglectful of Athanasia
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The final book in the webnovel has a story where our Athanasia is sent to the original timeline of "The Lovely Princess" to fix the timeline and only then, she can return home.
- Ship Tease: The current Athanasia has some of these with the magician Lucas and Izekiel, who is the hero from the original story. In the webnovel, she also managed to attract the attention of the original universe Lucas and Izekiel in the final arc.
- Show Within a Show: "The Lovely Princess" novel is this and becomes the basis for why our protagonist gets reincarnated as Athanasia.
- Tell Me About My Mother: Anastasia becomes curious about her mother, but is too afraid to bring her up.
- Thicker Than Water: The whole premise of the story is the transmigrated Athanasia working her way and find her father caring for her more than she thought he would and Athanasia seeing the supposedly cold ruler as her father. It's a bit complicatedExplanation .
- Unwitting Pawn: The completed Webnovel reveals that Jenette, the heroine of the original story is this as she was raised as sheltered as possible and made her susceptible towards manipulations by others, including and not limited to, Izekiel's father.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Anastasia in the novel only wanted to be loved by her father.
- What will it take for you to love me?
- Your Cheating Heart: Claude's start of Took a Level in Jerkass happened because his First Love and fiancee, Penelope, was ambitious and not satisfied with just being engaged to him alone, and slept with his brother, causing Claude to kill him and took the throne.