Whatever Remains is a Sherlock Holmes webcomic adaptation set in 1920s London, written by TUMBLR user anotherwellkeptsecret.
It can also be read on the author's website.
This Webcomic Provides Examples Of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Holmes is described as incredibly thin and hawk-like in the original novels. Here he is an incredibly handsome young man.
- Adaptational Backstory Change: Watson and Holmes first met as teenagers, as opposed to the former only meeting the latter after returning from war.
- Watson was evidently injured in a different war, given that the Second Anglo-Afghan War only lasted until 1880.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: Whilst Watson was not unscathed in the original stories, here he is missing a leg.
- Mythology Gag:
- The title of the comic is a reference to one of Holmes' famous sayings: "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
- During the flashback to 1914, Watson's prizefighting name was "The Rat of Sumatra", which was one of many unrecorded cases mentioned during the original stories.
- Violet Smith and her stalker turning out to be looking out for her are from "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist".
- Chapter One is named "The Solider Soldier", which brings to mind both the aforementioned "Solitary Cyclist" and "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier".