The Snail Factory is a surreal webcomic about demented beings and their daily life in an unusual work environment; a facility dedicated to "the manufacture of snails, slugs, limpets, nautili, taffy and other gastropods".
The comic began on August 1, 2011. It is written and drawn by creator Ari Bach and has a regular Monday and Thursday update schedule.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Butt-Monkey: Efengi is constantly put through various types of torment and nearly fatal disfigurement.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Nearly all of the characters are completely apathetic to the suffering and horrible maiming of others.
- Crapsack World: Nearly everyone is physically monstrous and at least somewhat psychologically deranged.
- Dangerous Workplace: Features an extremely hazardous work environment as it primary setting.
- Eats Babies: U Tynjang, apparently.
- Eye Scream: Happens to Efengi multiple times, as per his Butt-Monkey status.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Features a menagerie of bizarre creatures.
- Genius Bonus: Efengi is Sisyphus, Tantalus AND Prometheus!
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Elliot, Dr. Breign's assistant, essentially does all of the work, cleans up after Breign's messes and keeps everything going.
- Incompetence, Inc.
- Mundane Fantastic: Has an entire cast of bizarre creatures and even inanimate objects, but these are usually more or less treated as normal employees.
- No OSHA Compliance: In one episode it's even revealed that the factory saves money by not having guardrails around an open vat and allowing workers to fall in, thus increasing "the protein levels".
- Only Sane Employee: Elliot
- Pointy-Haired Boss: Dr. Breign is an excellent example of this, although lacking in hair of any kind.
- Sadist Show: Characters eat each other on a fairly regular basis.
- Science Cocktail: Episode #45 has a gag like this, but with a more industrial take; and chocolate.
- Tailor-Made Prison: Mr. Sink seems to be kept in one of these.