What is it like to live a life of no rest?
Shanti believes that she knows, until she gets in a plane crash, only to be caught in midair by a great winged creature calling itself a Gryphside. The Gryphside, named Phoebus, claims that he cannot land on the ground...but will instead take her to the one place he can, a mysterious cube floating in midair that his kind call the Skybox.
What the Skybox is, how it came to be, and the fate of all those that rest on it are for Shanti to uncover...
Needs Wiki Magic Love
The Skybox contains examples of the following tropes:
- Adult Fear:
- Phoebus causes his daughter to fall because he pushed her too hard.
- Shanti has been missing the length of the comic (about a month); her mother is most likely dead when the plane broke apart, and her father, arguing or not, must be worried sick; not to mention her friend Rachel, who kept waiting for Shanti for so long, with only sporadic updates that only make her confused. All she knows is Shanti is alive, and her father knows even less.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: the IM Breaks, where Shanti uses her phone to message her friend Rachel about what's been happening.
- Apocalypse How: The Simurgh is setting up to be this; the Spaceside tell Shanti that unless humans create "rest" (what Siders do when they land on the Skybox) the overwhelming amount of energies they create will destroy the Earth as the Simurgh. A flare of energy like this actually appears to be what destroys the plane in the first place.
- Involuntary Shapeshifter: Landing on the Skybox causes all Siders to assume a humanoid form, and taking off reverts them to their winged forms. And when the Skybox disappears suddenly, we find out that this now applies to Shanti, too.
- Winged Humanoid: Shanti becomes one when the Skybox disappears.
- Little Bit Beastly: The Siders still retain some indication of their race, such as Drakeside having horns.
- Mythology: All of the Siders (aside from the Spaceside) are based on beings from various mythologies. Gryphside, Pegaside, and Nixside are based on Gryphons, Pegasus, and Phoenixes, Zalside are based on Quetzalcoatl, and Drakeside are classical European dragons.