The Selfish Beast and the Selfless Maiden is a webcomic by scarletwhite. It can be found here.
A beautiful red-haired maiden is taken away by a big, green, scaly, fire-breathing monster. During her captivity, she starts dreaming about a handsome knight coming to rescue her.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Babies Ever After: The Maiden and Drak end up having several baby dragons together. Some of them grow up to be evil, while others are good.
- Baleful Polymorph: Drak is actually the knight that the Maiden sees in her dreams who was cursed by an evil wizard after he took a ring from the wizard's treasure horde. The ring allows Drak to appear in others' dreams as he was when he was a human, and the only way to break the curse is to fall in love with a woman who is "truly selfless".
- The Maiden herself ends up being transformed into a dragon when she takes a dagger from Drak's horde in case she needs to defend herself.
- Beard of Evil: The Wizard who Drak was sent to kill when he was human has one of these.
- Dragon Hoard: Drak has a large pile of treasure, including a dagger that the Maiden takes in case she needs to defend herself.
- Fiery Redhead: The Maiden has red hair before her transformation into a dragon. Subverted in the sense that she isn't Hot-Blooded. (As a human, anyway)
- Getting Hot in Here: With the Maiden's transformation into a dragon having begunnote , she removes her dress before walking into lava to feel warmer.
- Green and Mean: Drak is a ferocious green dragon who has burned homes and crops, killing livestock and man alike. The mean part goes away once he manages to fall in love with the Maiden.
- Meaningful Name: "Drak" means malignant.
- Mood Whiplash: After Drak explains that he used to be a human, the Maiden confesses her love for him, in hopes that he will return to his normal form. But what happens next is that the dagger she took from his horde turns white hot, causing Drak to feel betrayed and the Maiden begins transforming into a dragon.
- Morphic Resonance: As a dragon, the Maiden's scales are red, the same color as her hair when she was human.
- No Name Given: The only character who is named in the story is Drak. The Maiden's real name is never mentioned in the story and neither is the wizard who cursed Drak.
- Red Is Heroic: The Maiden's hair is red. When she is transformed into a dragon, she has red scales.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Drak pulled one of these off after his transformation, where he punished the King who sent him on this mission to kill the evil wizard.
- Volcano Lair: Drak's home is one of these, complete with pools of lava.
- Was Once a Man: Drak was originally a human knight until he was sent to kill an evil Wizard. Despite being warned not to touch anything in the Wizard's castle, Drak decided to take a ring in hopes of selling it for a considerable amount of money, or to charm a lady. This ring allowed the Wizard to curse Drak, transforming him into a dragon.
- Wham Shot: The Maiden sees that Drak's ring is the same one as the knight that she keeps seeing in her dreams, thus giving her the hint that Drak and the knight are the same person.