The Oatmeal is a comic and site by Matthew Inman. It is a web original that created a board game that raised over $8.7 million on kickstarter, 8 books, a bunch of merchandise, and comic with a unique style. These comics are what The Oatmeal is most known for.
- If My Dogs Were a Pair of Middle-Aged Men Book
- 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth
- How to Tell if your Cat is Plotting to Kill You
- My Dog: The Paradox
- Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants
- The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances
- Penis Fairies and Queef Storms - An Adult Coloring Book by The Oatmeal
- 404 Not Found - A Coloring Book by The Oatmeal
This work contains examples of:
- Ascended Meme: "Tumbeasts", the gremlins responsible for Tumblr site errors.
- Being Good Sucks: Inman decides to pay to watch Game of Thrones legally to support the author, but every streaming service is ridiculously overpriced, doesn't have it, or requires him to jump through hoops to get the content he wants. He ends up resorting to piracy, which lets him see the entire series instantly for free.
- Black Comedy: How to Name an Abortion Clinic.
- Blatant Lies: "Please pet me, I am not a bear." It serves as the trope image.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: TASTY FIRESTORM!
- Canines Gambling in a Card Game: Matthew drew a parody of the original "Dogs Playing Poker" painting that he titled Cats Playing Hungry Hungry Hippos.
- Cats Are Mean: The Bobcats will either fire you or plot your murder.
- Cats Are Superior: Behold this strip on why cats are superior to babies.
- Cats Love Laser Pointers: A dog reacts to a laser pointer by asking if it is food. When told it is not, he is all "that's cool man" and proposes sprinting around in circles until they throw up. In contrast, four cats go completely out of their minds trying to kill the red dot. As one puts it:Holy mother fuckity shit
What is this optical phenomenon
of light and confusion
I must stab it
- Chest Burster:
- Children Are a Waste: He has a very, very negative opinion on babies.
- Cool Car: What It's Like To Own A Tesla.
- Country Matters: Nasty as a swear-word, but it loses potency when reimagined: "When I hear it, I imagine a small, economy car from the mid-80's.".
- Determinator: The Oatmeal is an Ultra-Marathonnote Runner, which he likens to being a highly caffeinated mountain goat climbing over mountains and eating everything in their path, as opposed to regular Marathon runners, who are more like sleek cheetahs, able to run fast over shorter distances.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil (But Sometimes Unavoidable): I tried to watch Game of Thrones and this is what happened.
- The Ditz: Domino, one of Inman's 17 childhood cats, was "special". He foamed at the mouth when he purred, couldn't run in a straight line, and never figured out how to use the litterbox.
- Does Not Like Spam: Inman hates Juicy Fruit (a brand of gum) because it loses its flavor about 0.2 seconds after being chewed. He describes it as going from "holy shit that's juicy!!" to "someone shit pencil erasers in my mouth".
- Easter Egg: If you view the page source of any page on his website, you'll be greeted by an ASCII version of the "motherfucking pterodactyl."
- F--: ...minus minus minus minus minus minus.
- Foreign Queasine: Asian food in a small town.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: The aforementioned comic about piracy. The bad angel wants Matt to just pirate Game of Thrones, while the good angel thinks of ways for Matt to watch the series legally. Eventually, the good angel runs out of options after trying just about everything.
- Grammar Nazi: The Oatmeal even makes comics entirely about how to use grammar correctly.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Inman takes issue with this regarding Christopher Columbus.
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: According to Inman, small-town Asian restaurants are horrible mish-mashes of food from 5 different countries.Restaurant window of "Diarrhea Dragon": Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai/Vietnamese - Gourmet! Straight from the Orient! Try our Scary-Yaki Combo Meal! Only $2.99!
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: Describes "Grump", his family's pet parrot, as being this in I Have First-Hand Experience With An Undead Parrot."Grumpy implies a dissatisfied, surly exterior lined by a tender, endearing underbelly. But Grump was not tender. His name should have been Asshole. His name should have been Genghis-Nightmare-Shitting-Khan. His name should have been OH GOD NO."
- Last Resort Takeout: In "Why I don't cook at home", Inman is about to order from Mr. Chang's Chinese Pizza Barn, but sees a TV commercial talking about why fast food is bad for you. He decides to cook Pekingese Bison Casserole from a recipe book labeled Recipes! Super EZ! (Haha Not Really), but ends up making a grey pile of sludge that taunts him about his lack of cooking skills. Finally, he just gives up and orders from Mr. Chang's, looking very happy as he shovels pizza into his mouth.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Inman likes to think that his childhood parrot Grump was this, due to being very mean-spirited.
- Moment of Awesome: Invoked by Matthew, who considers getting his anti-SOPA animation featured on CNN to be this.I'm fairly certain getting koala lovemaking on CNN is the highlight of my career and I wanted to share the moment with you.
- Not Quite Dead: Grump, the Undead Parrot, who kept cawing as he was being buried. Actually, he is very much dead. The dirt was pushing out the remaining air in his lungs.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Inman appears to be very well-read, and a lot of his comics are as informative as they are hilarious. That said, he's not above the occasional Cluster F-Bomb.
- Swallowed a Fly: And he never lived it down.
- Take That!: A popular pastime for Mr. Inman when dissecting his many pet peeves:
- One of the most infamous examples first was this strip, which showcased 14 years of frustration as a web designer. No wonder the man quit to pursue a career in drawing and writing web comics.
- This response to the legal dispute with FunnyJunk, complete with Your Mom.
- Thomas Edison gets several in the tribute to Nikola Tesla.
- Forbes Magazine gets several for not fact-checking the tribute to Nikola Tesla.
- The Internet Is for Porn: Inverted - "The State Of The Web, Summer 2011" mentions that social networking has overtaken porn in web traffic. "You've changed, internet. It's like I don't even know you anymore."
- Third-Person Person: Inman sometimes refers to himself as "The Oatmeal."
- Those Wacky Nazis: Inman grew up in a town in Idaho that used to be the site of a Neo-Nazi compound and he grew up knowing a handful of little Hitlers.
- Too Old to Trick-or-Treat: One strip shows what Halloween is like at different ages; for teenagers, it's described as "They try to go trick or treating but get yelled at by stingy parents".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sriracha hot sauce, as noted above.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: All over the place. Many of his comics feature humans and animals indiscreetly barfing candy-colored vomit in ludicrous quantities.
- Your Mom: This is why an octopus is more awesome than her.