The Future Of Our Past is a lengthy The Lion King fan-comic that delves into various stories, past and present, of the franchise. It takes various elements from different media, as well as some developmental elements from the films.
The series consists of Mohatu's Reign, Uru's Reign, The East Land Chronicles, Mufasa's Reign, and Scar's Reign.
This comic provides examples of:
- Age Lift: Zira is only a season older than Simba and is a teen when he's a cub.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Canon uses near-Bloodless Carnage and doesn't show hunting outside of bugs, 'The Future Of Our Past'' features hunting and bloody lion-on-lion fights.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Scar and Sarafina had a thing in their youth. Sarafina eventually moved on and had Nala with someone else. However, Sarafina devises a plan to seduce Scar and become his queen in order to protect the rest of the pride. Scar does genuinely take to Sarafina.
- Composite Character: In the official comic An Unusual Choir, Simba's unnamed aunt gives birth to twins. In an official puzzle, it's mentioned that Simba has a cousin named "Mtoto". The Future Of Our Past blends Simba's unnamed male cousin with Mtoto.
- Heir Club for Men: Scar rejects Zira as his heir because he wants male cubs to succeed him.
- Infant Immortality: Invoked. It's forbidden to hunt young animals in the Pridelands.
- Patchwork Fic: Various elements of the franchise are mixed into the narrative, ranging from the comics to sequels.
- Related in the Adaptation:
- Zira is Scar's daughter, which also makes her Simba's cousin.
- Mheetu is Scar's son.
- Used to Be a Sweet Child:
- Despite her name Zira used to be a sweet cub. She became colder as she grew, especially due to the influence of her father (or, more specifically, the lack of influence) .
- Scar was gentle once upon a time. Even after he changes, his mother Uru still doesn't want to believe her son is gone. It's only after Mufasa's death that it settles in.
- Would Hurt a Child:
- The hyenas break the rule about not hunting youngsters.
- A sign of Zira's worsening personality is when she smacks a cub-aged Nala during an argument.