A Korean Webtoon, written by LeeJun, stars Da-Jeong, a 19 year old girl with a physical disorder that makes her look like she's only around 7 and Min-Seong, a 17 year old boy who, though properly developed physically, has the mental capacity of a small boy due to a disorder of his own.
Basically a Boy Meets Girl story with some very unusual twists.
Read it here.
Tropes appearing in The Friendly Winter include:
- Alcoholic Parent: Yeong-Jun has a habit of overspending on alcohol and coming back late and drunk on his bad days.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Da-Jeong probably thinks of her father as this, seeing as to how he always brings back hand-me-downs from his friends' children for her as presents.
- Berserk Button: Though she doesn't show it, Da-Jeong gets very mad when people are insensitive to her disorder, even if out of ignorance. She doesn't hide her anger when it concerns Min-Seong though.
- Big Sister Instinct: Da-Jeong will be pissed-off if you hurt Min-Seong's feelings or talk behind his back.
- Bullying the Disabled: Da-Jeong's mother abandoned her because she didn't want a daughter who couldn't physically grow up.
- Bland-Name Product: Particularly the food products, from noodles to donuts to cheesecakes.
- Cool Big Sis: Or in this case, Cool Older Small Sis. Da-Jeong was this to Min-Seong at the start, and later, to Min-Seo as well.
- Cross Cultural Reference: Da-Jeong references Harry Potter but Min-Seong doesn't get the reference.
- Good Stepmother: Min-Seong thinks his stepmother Seo-Ha is the sweetest and most beautiful woman on the planet.
- Happily Adopted: Min-Seong is stated to not be related to Seo-Ha by blood. (She is actually his stepmother.) And he thinks that she is the kindest and most beautiful person in the world.
- Holding Hands: A recurring image between Da-Jeong and Min-Seong.
- Imagine Spot: On the way to see the wizard of the play, Min-Seong daydreams of Da-Jeong having an adult body.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Da-Jeong and Min-Seong.
- Kim Min-Seong. Literally! Justified in that he has global developmental delay.
- Yeong-Jun could count as this as well, being gullible and having the household finances being managed by his daughter.
- Meaningful Name: The name Da-Jeong means kind-hearted.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Happens whenever Da-Jeong loses her temper and lashes out against her father or Min-Seong.
- Nice Guy: The wizard actor of the play is a surprisingly nice man, bothering to act like a magician to Min-Seong in order to make him go home on a winter night, and even helping him to look for Da-Jeong when his "magic" works.
- Not What It Looks Like: Played for Drama when Min-Seong is seen undressing an unconscious girl. (He was trying to change her out of her wet clothes.) Her parents misunderstood and beat him up.
- Older Than They Look: Da-Jeong, due to growth hormone deficiency caused by hypothyroidism.
- Parental Abandonment: Makes up the bulk of Da-Jeong's issues. Implied to have happened with Min-Seong as well.
- Parents as People: All of the parents shown. Especially both of Da-Jeong's parents Yeong-Jun and Eun-Gyeong as well as Min-Seong's grandfather.
- Perpetual Smiler: Min-Seong, mostly because he is truly simple-minded and easily please, or Trying Not to Cry.
- Precocious Crush: The girl that Min-Seong saves, Byeol, ends up having one on him at the end.
- Romancing the Widow: Implied to be what Yeong-Jun is attempting at the end with Seo-Ha.
- Shout-Out: To a wizarding school, a wise old wizard and a princess who was under a curse and turned into an ogre.
- Tender Tears: Da-Jeong remarks that she has not met one who cries as much for the someone else as Min-Seong.
- Title Drop: Min-Seong titles his drawing of him and Da-Jeong as "The Friendly Winter".
- Took a Level in Badass: Min-Seong finally learns to get angry when he finds an old man hurting a young girl and punches him.
- Tsundere: Da-Jeong for sure.