The current Wattpad cover of the webcomic.The Free Willies
is a webcomic on Tumblr
by April Elliot Lee (aprilleeofficial)
. The Wattpad
description for the webcomic is as follows: "When old memes start taking over a tragic all-girls high school, it's up to six lame-os to embark on an inter-dimensional adventure and use their wits, poor athleticism, and various memeing skills to save their school."
This comic contains examples of:
open/close all folders
truer than putin's hotness
all this frickety frack just to get our sub-par school back
memein where no meme has memed before
- Line-of-Sight Alias: Mysterious Monocle Man subverts this when he's asked his name, looks at three items, and then responds with a name (Alec Giav Mayst) completely unrelated to the three items.
- Significant Anagram:
- REABANDONING, obviously, is an anagram of the main six kids' initials.
- Mysterious Monocle Man's alias, Alec Giav Mayst, is an anagram of "Malagasy civet", which is another name for the fossa fossana, his true form!
- The Chosen One: the main six kids, according to the REABANDONING prophecy.
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: The Tumblr and Wattpad have ask boxes.
- No Fourth Wall: The fourth wall is especially broken by any shapeshifter characters, namely Mysterious Monocle Man, the Shapeshifter, and the Jamnitor.
- Write Who You Know: The author says the 6 main characters were based on him and his friends at the time of the comic's beginning. Although it might have been meant to be Life Embellished at first, it quickly subverts that trope as the plot thickens.
- Fandom Nod: Aaron references My Chemical Romance and he wears a Panic! at the Disco hoodie. In some art he also wears a Slytherin scarf. The tagline "The most mixed up non-delinquents on the block" is from the song Beauty School Dropout in the musical Grease.