The Devilman is a retelling/light reimagining of Go Nagais Devilman written by NickOnPlanetRipple. A somewhat westernized take on the series, containing both redone versions of classic scenes and original material.
The webcomic currently consists of three books: Rise of the Devilman, Wrath of the Devilman and Shadow of the Devilman. At present the series is not being updated but can be read from here.
The Webcomic includes examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Sirenes skin and feathers are changed to a light blue and black.
- Adaptation Name Change: While Satan hasnt technically taken the stage yet they have thus far only been addressed as Lucifer in this series.
- Alternate Self: Jun is actually Miki from another dimension.
- Ambiguously Evil: Archangel Michael.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: This comic has versions of pages where the females have no nipples. Played straight with the female characters who are under 18.
- Brought Down to Normal: Archangel Michael purges Amon from Akira early in Book Three and he remains this way until the climax.
- The Can Kicked Him: Akira does this to an Ake Manto.
- Canon Foreigner: The demon fought at the end of the first book and Professor Edward Monroe from the third book.
- Death by Adaptation: Several in the alternate universe Jun is from.
- First off, Ryo gets killed by Miki in self defense after he tried to kill her because of Akiras brain damage.
- Then Tare gets eaten by Jinmen.
- Miki kills Sirene.
- Lastly, Akira was the one killed by the lynch mob that attacked the Makimura residence.
- Dies Differently in Adaptation: regarding Mikis death.
- Expendable Alternate Universe: Jun Fudo (aka. Miki Makimura) came from a universe where a device designed to pacify humans and remove violent impulses had the side effect of leaving those under its influence to become more susceptible to demonic possession and is now trying to stop that same device from being created in this universe.
- Expy: The demon Akira fights at the end of Book One is based off of Phalanx from Demons Crest.
- Gone Horribly Right: Professor Monroes E-Wave Generator was intended to bring world piece by breaking down the walls that shield us from the pain of others, unfortunately, by breaking down the human psychic barrier, its also more effective for causing demonic possession than a Black Sabbath.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Aoi Kurosaki.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each book is titled with a The X of Y format; the first book is Rise of the Devilman, the second book is Wrath of the Devilman and the third book is Shadow of the Devilman.
- The currently hypothetical fourth books name is Brotherhood of the Devilman.
- Official Couple: Akira and Miki are already an item at the start of the first book averting the Unresolved Sexual Tension in the manga.
- Shout-Out: Mostly to Go Nagais other works such as Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey but early in the first book Akira and Miki go to the movies and watch Pacific Rim.
- Song Fic: There are multiple scenes in the comic that are without dialogue accompanied by the lyrics to specific songs.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Sirene survived her fight with Devilman.
- Take That!: During the Black Sabbath, Ryo sarcastically asked Akira if he was expecting a demon to jump into him as soon as Ryo opened the door before shooting it down as ridiculous; this being a potshot at the much reviled live action movie.
- Wham Shot: Miki discovering a photo of her aunt. Who looks a lot like Jun.