The Awkward Yeti is a webcomic by Nick Seluck. It's about Lars, aka the awkward yeti, and his life, especially his interactions with his various organs. Heart and Brain have become so popular they've managed their own spinoff, which has a separate part of the site and its own book available. Heart always wants to run away and enjoy himself, doing things just for fun, while Brain is worried about their responsibilities and is trying to learn. Stomach has also had some cameos when the two of them are arguing about food. There are also various comics about other injuries and medical problems. Quite a few deal with the interaction between Tongue and Stomach.
Nick Seluck also did a 25-episode online series called "Medical Tales Retold" for Tapastice.com which has excerpts on the main site. The episode about depression/anxiety has been very popular as a way for people suffering from those mental illnesses as a way to describe what they're going through.
Tropes used by this webcomic:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Discussed. Brain doesn't seem too worried.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Heart most of the time.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Lars. Brain really isn't helping him.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Gall Bladder
- Comfort Food: Subverted. It didn't help.
- Comically Missing the Point:
- Brain: "Although alien cats would almost certainly enslave humanity." Heart: "Aww, KITTY!"
- Plus the whole thing about the cow chefs
- Cuteness Proximity: Demonstrated by Heart and Brain with a dog.
- Ear Worm: Invoked. Shown as Brain trying to sing at night while Lars is trying to sleep.
- G-Rated Drug: Coffee. Not decaf either.
- I Lied: "I thought you were supposed to be decaffeinated."
- The Insomniac: Lars thanks to Brain overthinking and remembering everything he'd forgotten earlier.
- Jerkass: Tongue for the most part.
- Not So Above It All: Brain. "Foolish Heart...everyone knows you should always be Batman."
- Pun: The Irritable Bowl, "That was your solution?" among others.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The organs themselves. Originally the comic was about, well, a yeti, stuck in awkward social situations that he doesn't know how to deal with. Then Seluck used the organs for a visual pun and not-so-gradually started using the organs as a running gag. Now the strip is only about his organs and Lars himself is lucky to even appear.
- Visual Pun: Often a staple of the comic. Lars having a heart attack involves Heart literally trying to attack him. Also see the hypochondria strip.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Heart and Brain have this sometimes.