In this world, there are people who have gained superhuman abilities through training in the martial arts. They are known as the Murim. Of these clans of Murim, the Hongmoon stands above all else. They have strict laws, and those who break them are not easily forgiven. One such outcast has joined forces with a group of criminal engineers to build an army capable of defeating the Murim. One night, he chooses to attack the Grand Master of the Hongmoon, one of the greatest Murim in all of Korea.
Enter Eun Aran, an Ordinary High-School Student who spends most of his time studying. One day when walking home, he comes across the Grand Master being attacked. While the Grand Master seems to be handling himself rather well, Eun Aran is caught up in the attack and is fatally injured. Feeling responsible, the Grand Master passes his immense ki onto Eun Aran, sacrificing himself to save him. Now the Hongmoon must take Eun in and keep him safe until they can find someone to transfer the Grand Master's immense ki into a proper heir, for if that power were to fall into the wrong hands, the world itself could end...
This work contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Su Jung, grand daughter of the Grandmaster.
- Haeji as well.
- Ascended Fanboy: Aran. See main page for more details.
- Berserk Button: Aran's very existence is this to Scorpion, because his being alive is a constant reminder of how the Grand Master gave his life for a random kid, but abandoned him.
- Big Bad: The Professor, who gave Scorpion his new body and created the robots.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: The Murim. Somewhat justified in the Grand Master's case, because his ki has been passed down from master to master for 500 years.
- Child Prodigy: Even with such massive ki, Aran shouldn't be able to use it properly since his body was not conditioned to handle it. It merely takes him a few days of practicing and studying techniques straight from books to be able to fight on par with some masters.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Su Jung becomes this to Aran later on.
- Cyborg: Scorpion, the traitor to the Hongmoon has been turned into one so he can fight on par with some of the most powerful Murim.
- First Chapter Spoiler: The first two chapters confirm which major characters are definitely going to survive the first leg of the story, and what will happen to Aran.
- HeelFace Turn / FaceHeel Turn: Technically, depending on your perspective, Aran makes a Heel Face Turn when he joins the Branch family, but either way, the branch family members come off as a lot more heroic when he's on their side.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The Grand Master gives up his own life in order to save Aran.
- Idol Singer: Haeiji
- Knowledge Broker: Aran and Su Jung come across one in chapter eleven. They're very helpful and give them a lot of exposition on what's happening in the Murim world.
- I Want Them Alive: The Branch family head wants Aran brought back to him so he can convince him to join them.
- Living MacGuffin: Everybody is after the 500 year old ki in Aran, so he has to be careful and hide it.
- Older Than They Look: Rockbreaker and his disciple Haeji know how to manipulate the ki in their bodies so they can always look youthful.
- Power Limiter: A variant. Most members of the Hongmoon are required to drink a poison that will kick in should they use more of their ki than allowed. In the event of an emergency, the clan leaders would come together and make the antidote. This was a precaution to keep their members from abusing their power, but it wound up being their downfall. Their branches were wiped out so quickly that they couldn't coordinate to make the antidote in time.
- Resigned to the Call: While Aran never jumped at the opportunity to have powers, he certainly takes it in stride, and begins to enjoy it later on.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Eun's apparently had a dark side he's been very good at keeping in check, but after he gets his powers and goes through ki poisoning, this side of him comes out.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Aran is unmatched in ki battles, but if it comes down to skill, Su Jung can easily trounce him.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: After the first arc concludes, Aran's days consist of getting up, going to school, and getting ambushed by members of various clans who are after his power on his way home.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Sucksoo kills the elders that had previously allied with him when he loses Aran, his one bargaining chip.