In 2013, Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog went through a legal battle with a former writer that, following a crossover with Mega Man, resulted in a reboot of the comic, with the continuity before that point being erased and altered. While some were happy with the post-reboot continuity, others were dismayed at seeing years of history undone and wished for a more conclusive ending.
In response to the reboot, Chris "Glitcher" Reavey created Sonic Retold to continue the comic where Archie left off and recapture the days before Executive Meddling became obvious, such as Sonic not being able to cry or characters made by other writers being put offscreen.
This comic is not to be confused with Archie Sonic Online, another fan attempt to continue the comic pre-Super Genesis Wave.
Sonic Retold contains examples of:
- Bad Dreams: Sonic has recurring ones about Sally and how he wasn't able to save her from being roboticised.
- Call-Back: Tails contacts Knuckles using Julie-Su's cybernetics, something he himself had previously done to contact him and Sonic.
- Call-Forward: Silver has a vision of the Worlds Collide event at one point. How and to what degree it will feature in this comic is unknown.
- Darker and Edgier: While the original could get pretty dark at times, Retold plays up the Body Horror aspects of Roboticisation, such as Eggman weaponizing Sally by tearing her limbs off and leaving just her head and heart active while he reconstructed them.
- Fan Disservice: In what might be a reference to the image on that page, we see Eggman naked in a bath at one point. Many readers' comments were along the lines of crying for Brain Bleach.
- Grand Theft Me: Naugus does this literally with Geoffrey, re-forming in his own form not long after when out of prying eyes. Naturally Geoffrey isn't happy about this.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Lien-Da doesn't think very highly of her alliance with Eggman and the only reason she is doing it is because of convenience.
- Villain Team-Up: As per the original comic, Eggman and The Dark Legion (led by Lien-Da) as the Dark Egg Legion.