Twenty years ago, the supernaturals didn't just lose the war with the humans, they lost everything. Now without a homeland, many of them work for the Coven, an elite occult agency.
Little more then glorified mercenaries, they face demonic invasions and zombie infestations by day and spend their nights getting drunk in bars.
The comic contains examples of:
- The Ace: Tyr. Hes good-looking, intelligent and hes the Covens second-in-command, effortlessly running the Coven base.
- Action Girl: Jordan. She's a Coven Officer, shes excels at unarmed combat and she seems to mostly wear combats and military gear. She even cosplays as Commander Shepard when they go to a costume party.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: Jordan is a Coven officer and a powerful psychic yet the man she chooses to be with is the loyal but somewhat unstable team power-house Vinnie
- Back Story: Vinnie and Rabbit were recruited from prison by Jordan when they were all still teenagers.
- Badass Beard: Vinnie's beard and Carpet of Virility enforce his role as a Coven's badass.
- Berserk Button: Never ever make sexual remarks about Jordan in front of Vinnie or Tyr. Vinnie put Rabbit in choke-hold when he hit on Jordan and Tyr broke a disrespectful recruits nose
- Bi the Way: Rabbit is openly bisexual. At one point, we see him with both a guy and girl on his arm. He flirts with both Jordan and Tyr.
- Body Horror: Where to begin? The comic features everything from three-headed monstrosities to skinless undead. Generally, horror in this comic means people get very ugly verrrrry quickly.
- Boyish Short Hair: Jordan has short dark hair. Coupled with her toned build and pretty yet somewhat androgynous features, she looks a bit like a Bifauxnen.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Rabbit is generally very sexual, hitting on Jordan and implied to enjoy threesomes with girls and guys. However, when hes around his lover Tyr, hes very shy and acts almost innocent. Awwwww-
- Cock Fight: Tyr and Vinnie over everything.
- Crapsack World: First the world was wrecked by a decade of occult warfare between Oldbloods and human. Once the war ended, occult technology from the war fell into the hands of bad guys and the plagues started.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Coven is largely staffed by Skins, Smokes and creatures that go bump in the night but theyre the ones working to make the world a better place.
- Fantastic Racism: Jordan is Eurasian but that nobody seems to care. The real racial tension is between humans and Oldbloods.
- Healing Factor: When Vinnie's fighting another monster in jail during a flashback scene, he has a broken nose, black eye and his arm so badly broken that the bone is protruding from the skin. But after he shifts to werewolf form and back again he appears all healed up and actually looks quite handsome.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Vinnie and Jordan. Hes about 7 ft tall and she barely reaches his chest. How they have sex is anyones guess.
- Island Base: The Coven base is on an island
- Odd Friendship: Rabbit is a Pretty Boy vampire who treats life like a candystore and Vinnie is a hulking fatherly werewolf soldier who views it more as a barfight.
- Hell, even Jordan and Rabbit fit this trope. She's a driven workaholic psychic commander and Rabbit is...Rabbit. Yet they're best friends.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: In the comic, theyre called Skins and they look less like wolves and more like an mixture of different animals. Vinnies were-form has a mane and teeth like a sabretooth tiger. They also seem to change shape at will, not according to the moon. Silver does kill them though.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Rabbit is a Smoke and unlike traditional vampires, he can walk in sunlight and he feeds on the breath of the dying, not blood. Blood is just an aphrodisiac to Smokes - they drink it during sex. Smokes can also turn to smoke (duh!)
- Power Trio: Jordan, Rabbit and Vinnie.