Simon Sues is a manga-style webcomic written and illustrated by Myung Hee Kim.
Simon was on the fast-track to becoming a prominent first-class lawyer. Then he accidentally damned his rival's soul to Hell, thanks to the machinations of a soul-devouring demon. Worse still, the demons have been breaking their own ancient laws and customs to consume souls from the ignorant, while the 'legal guardians' of Earth seek to abuse their power for nefarious purposes. Now, Simon works with a demon huntress and a sorcerer to help those who want to escape a soured Deal with the Devil, debating and fighting both Amoral Attorney and the hungering legions of the abyss.
- Black-and-Grey Morality: Humans and demons are found on both sides:
- The demon predators con humans into signing an unwinnable contract, so they can devour their souls or torture them for eternity.
- The human contractors perform mass human sacrifices so they can lure desperately starving demons into total, unending enslavement.
- Some humans are willing to sign a Deal with the Devil to get justice, some demons only feast on humans because they'll starve to death if they don't.
- The Eight-Eyed One wants to get revenge on the people who tortured and murdered her human host, and reform the corrupted demon laws that allow all of the above to go unchecked.
- Blind Without 'Em: At one point, he can see without them but not read, but at a different point he can't see this without them. Although he is hungover and newly awake at the time.
- Deal with the Devil - The usual suspects. The problem isn't Loophole Abuse, it's that the demons constantly break their own laws to get what they want.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: Fiends get status according to how strong their pillar of souls is. Isaac's hostfiend calls himself a "prince amongst princes".
- Arch-devils grow in power as they develop new body parts, typically eyes. Amputating one of these parts weakens them dramatically, but decreases their dietary requirements.
- Domestic Abuse: Mia in this arc. Simon was also abused by his mother. She even killed her other son in front of him.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: June, here, although she is partly right.
- Fingore: The Eight-Eyed one eats two of Simon's fingers for a penalty in demon court.
- Morton's Fork: If Simon doesn't defeat 99 demons/devils before the two years is up, Isaac will die. If he does, Isaac's hostfiend gets Simon's soul.
- The Oath-Breaker: In order to cross into the human world, demons must accept their rulers' Demon Laws. Demons who break the Demon Laws become temporary 'outlaws'. This doesn't kill them, but it stuns them with binding scripts and makes them temporarily mortal - as in, killable by a puny human with a baseball bat.
- Protective Charm: The garter they are hunting in this arc. Doubles with Ancient Artifact, as it's from the Nibelung tale.
- Raging Stiffie - Both Isaac and Simon in the most recent bonus comic.
- Really 700 Years Old: Isaac is 300+ but appears to be a teenager. Makes him the Older Sidekick.
- Wham Episode: The eight-eyed one reveals she is Jesus Christ (or an obscure greco-roman sage), and was actually a fusion between a human woman and a demon. They created laws that would balance the human and demon worlds, but were betrayed by both sides for not favoring one over the other, and then mutilated and crucified. As vengeance, they seek to kill everyone upholding the masquerade and rewrite the laws again.