Reptilis Rex is a webcomic by "William Tallman".
Hollow Earth is real and "Reptoids" live Beneath the Earth in secret. Or at least they used to. Some unknown catastrophe forced a large segment of reptoids to migrate to the surface and reveal themselves to human society. Unfortunately, reptoids aren't well accepted by humans and treated like second class citizens. This brings us to the story of Krel Irontail, formerly the Emperor of the Reptoids currently in hiding from the rest of his race along with his slave Snive. After being fired from his previous job at a Burger Fool, he is now employed at a hardware store under human reptoid culture enthusiast Cyrus Murdock.
Unfortunately, the series is now dead, with the site domain now up for grabs.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Krel, who inherited the throne from his MUCH more competent and beloved father, despite not even being the oldest son in the family, having apparently manipulated his father into making him the heir. As king, he proceeded to utterly destroy the nation, to the point where he had to get plastic surgery and go into hiding due to being wanted by not only several human rights organisations, but also the enclaves of surviving reptoids, as well as his own surviving brothers.
- Bad Boss: Mr Wilkins, the owner of Lemmy's Hardware Store.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Snive.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Snive may seem submissive and weak, but don't forget that part of his duties to Krel include(d) bodyguard. He killed a Mudneck - basically a blind, subterranean bear - with a tree branch.
- The Caligula: Krel was one as the emperor. Among other things he decreed that 15% of Reptoid children hatched should be named after him, diverted funds from the Army in the middle of war to build hot tubs and somehow caused the collapse of Reptoid society.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Kevin.
- Exact Words: Wilkins insists that Krel wears a name tag with a human name on it while working. He never said it had to be in English.Wilkins: I'm... having trouble reading your name tag.
Krel: That's because it's in Mandarin Chinese.
- Fanboy: Cyrus.
- Fantastic Racism: Not only do reptoids have to deal with human bigotry but also District 9 levels of institutional discrimination: Reptoids can only find employment with a human sponsor, can be legally hired at half a human's wages and the penalty for killing a reptoid is only 6 months probation and community service.
- The Fundamentalist: Cyrus ex wife to some extent, though this seems to be anchored in fear of the reptoids, as she is seen attending a church that considers them to be demons from hell. She seems to back down somewhat after befriending Snive.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: While Snive is more a "slave" than a sidekick, he is not only more levelheaded and agreeable than Krel, but also an expert fighter and infiltrator.
- Jerkass: Krel.
- Kevin is a thouroughly unlikable person. He may or may not be racist against reptoids, but he's a compulsive liar so it's hard to tell, especially since he's equally abrasive to everyone.
- I Meant to Do That: Krel's poorly thought out excuse for nearly annihilating the Reptoid race.
- In Medias Res
- Never My Fault: Krel refuses to accept his responsibility for the fall of the Reptoid society, and doesnt care one iota about how much the other survivors hates him.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: More like "workplace enemy", but Mr Wilkins is incredibly racist and misogynistic, and Kevin is both a Smug Snake, a possible racist and posseses the typical offensive beliefs of the stereotypical conspiracy theorist.
- Rambling Old Woman Monologue: Janet is fond of this.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Krel is the Red Oni, Snive is the Blue Oni. At first it seems like Snive's approach is more practical, since Krel's impulsiveness got him arrested a couple times. But when their new boss demands they use human names and wear paper bags on their heads while working, Krel is the only one willing to object.
- The Reptilians
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Mutos, a simple single cell organism native to the Hollow Earth, essentially a tiny version of the DnD's Gelatinous Cube, but with an adorable face drawn on it. They posses the ability to shapeshift.
- Selective Obliviousness: Krel would rather believe he fell down some stairs and hit his face on a door than believe he got his black eye from Snive punching him.
- Smug Snake: Kevin
- Up to Eleven: This trope is, itself, taken Up to Eleven. After hearing Krel play guitar, and his explanation that that was just a reptoid lullaby;Drummer: So in other words reptoid metal "goes to eleven?"
Krel: It starts at eleven.
Bassist: Let's do another take when my brain stops bleeding!
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Contrary to the cliché reptilian Conspiracy Theory, Reptoids do NOT have this as an inherent power. Instead, they use their shapeshifting pet mutos as masks.