Peter Parker: Foreign Exchange Student is a My Hero Academia and Spider-Man Crossover Fan Webcomic drawn by AlexDrawsAgain on Tumblr. There is little continuity between individual posts, as the author draws and posts what he pleases, but there's still a running underlying mythos mainly filled out through answers to his ask section.
It follows the misadventures of Peter Parker, who is attending U.A. High School, one of the finest hero schools in the world, as a Foreign Exchange Student after his identity as the vigilante Spider-Man was outed to the public. There he struggles to keep up with schoolwork, combat exercises, his unshakable guilt for his Uncle Ben's death, and his hormones acting up around every hot girl around him. Oh, and going out of his way to piss off one Katsuki Bakugou at every opportunity.
The artist began drawing the comic in December 2018, posting semi-frequently as his personal interest and time allows. It can be read on his Tumblr account here. It can also be read on his DeviantArt page.
Not to be confused with Friendly Foreign Exchange Student Spider Man, which focuses on the MCU version of Peter. The artist is a fan of it though.
Peter Parker: Foreign Exchange Student provides examples of...
- Affectionate Nickname: Ochako refers to Izuku as "Deku", an Appropriated Appellation, while Peter calls him "Green" for short.
- Beta Outfit: Before getting his classic look, Peter's costume consisted of a sweater-vest over a tracksuit with knee and elbow pads. He also had goggles instead of lenses and his mask was considerably less detailed. The author's notes ay this was the second edition of his costume, with his current one being the third.
- Big Applesauce: Izuku learns that New York is this with its Kaiju problem, frequent invasions by Atlantis, and numerous organized crime families.
- Big Brother Mentor: The artist has described Peter's relationship with Izuku as such. Peter offers Izuku tons of encouragement and advice from his own experiences as an awkward teen while defending him from the likes of Katsuki. They also live together in the Midoriya apartment.
- Birds of a Feather: Izuku and Peter instantly hit it off because of how similar their personalities and pasts are. Izuku goes so far as to call Peter his best friend. Both of them were also born Quirkless and gained incredible power through a twist of fate and neither of them knows the other's secret.
- Brainy Brunette: Peter is a genius chemist and designed his web-fluid from literal garbage. He keeps it a closely guarded secret both to protect his web's integrity and out of a sense of pride in his work.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In one strip, Peter and Izuku try to strategize behind the cover of rubble, inadvertently recreating the memetic shot◊ of Miles watching a thinking Peter intently in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Tsu calls them out for "recreating memes" to their confusion.
- Bully Hunter: Peter takes every opportunity he can to piss off Katsuki and pick a fight with him. He gets away with it thanks to his Spider-Sense. It's clear that this behavior is in no small part thanks to Peter's past as a Bully Magnet, and he can't understand why Izuku is so interested in remaining Katsuki's friend.
- Chick Magnet: Peter has gotten intense amounts of teasing from Mina, Momo, Felicia, and Mei on different occasions. He acknowledges them for the most part but is too shy to act on his feelings.
- Curb-Stomp Cushion: Izuku gets his ass thoroughly kicked by a Venom-controlled Peter, but not before breaking all of Venom's teeth with a kick after recalling some of Peter's advice.
- Didn't Think This Through: In one strip, Kyoka starts laughing uproariously at Iida and Peter practicing their evil laughs and loudly proclaims she can't breathe. She and Tokoyami lose the element of surprise because they could hear her through the wall.
- The Dreaded:
- Moon Knight is a batshit insane vigilante with a propensity for pointy and sharp instruments. Peter even cuts down on his quipping around him, taking care not to call him "Moony" in earshot.
- Spidey is his usual quippy self when he learns his Rogues Gallery followed him to Japan, but the thought of the Green Goblin coming for him has Peter jumping at shadows.
- Experienced Protagonist: Although he's recently entered hero school, Peter had already been acting as a vigilante long enough to gain enough infamy to have Daredevil come after him.
- Evil Is Hammy: Invoked by Tenya and Peter when they practice their maniacal laughter during the Heroes vs. Villains exercise.
- Evil Laugh: He and Tenya get paired up as the villains in the Heroes vs. Villains exercise and spend a good chunk of it practicing this. The sight of these two dorks gets Kyouka to burst out laughing, which she quickly regrets as it gives away her location.
- Freak Lab Accident:
- Peter got his Quirk from the radioactive spider bite, a secret he keeps under wraps out of fear of being treated like a freak of nature.
- The Fantastic Four's powers, which they received after being bombarded with cosmic radiation, are also classified as Quirks.
- Friendly Rivalry: Peter and Sero develop a rivalry over who is the better at Building Swing, coming up with new tricks to outdo each other. But they are perfectly friendly with each other.
- Fusion Fic: The Marvel elements exist alongside the My Hero Academia elements within the story's world. For instance, Charles Xavier runs a hero school bearing his name.
- Future Loser: Peter is dismayed at his older counterpart from Amazing Fantasy, who is homeless, divorced, and overweight. He says that meeting him is like "the Ghost of Christmas Future but so much worse!"
- Gibberish of Love: Peter is perfectly fine when talking to Momo out of costume, but when they're all in-costume, he gets distracted by her form-fitting and Stripperific clothing and becomes tongue-tied.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: Peter calls himself the "emissary of heck" while playing Super Robot with Eri. The panel◊ even has a small note saying that he doesn't curse around Eri because she's a child.
- Hypocritical Humor: Peter notices Ochako's crush on Izuku and tells her that Izuku would probably reciprocate if she'd just worked up the courage to ask him out. Ochako points out that Peter hasn't asked Mina or Momo out either.Ochako: Deku... you know, he really is something special, isn't he?
Peter: Ya know, you could probably just ask him out instead of sighing in a corner. He'd probably say yes.
Ochako: Oh, yeah? When are you gonna ask Mina or Momo, Mr. Smartypants?
Peter: Shush! Not so loud! Jesus...
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: One series of strips has Izuku take on a Venom-controlled Peter while Mina and Ochako run off to get help. Even as they trade blows, Izuku continues to plead with Peter to get him to snap to his senses. Despite Izuku's best efforts, he gets the crap kicked out of him and Peter only manages to resist when Venom is about to murder Izuku.
- Kid Hero: Peter is a teenager when he first enters hero school but started out as an illegal vigilante who hadn't gone through proper training. This gets him into hot water with Daredevil, who goes after him to make him stop.
- The Mentor: Wolverine has offered to become a mentor to Bakugo, to help the young man tame his own inner animal and become the man he wants to be. Bakugo initially rejected the offer but has been thinking about it more and more.
- New Transfer Student: Peter is one from the United States, getting into U.A. via a recommendation from none other than Captain America. But due to some botched customs work, he ends up living at the Midoriya apartment rather than the dorms as planned.
- Nice Guy:
- Peter is a friendly jokester and a Bully Hunter who has devoted himself wholeheartedly to helping others.
- After seeing the lengths Peter was going through to rescue everyone at the Statue of Liberty, Captain America decides to buy him time to flee the authorities so he wouldn't get in trouble before offering him a recommendation to send him to U.A.
- The Paragon:
- All Might is this in Japan, being its #1 Hero and an inspiration to generations of students.
- Captain America is this to, well, America. He's so moral and righteous that Stain puts him in the same category as All Might in terms of importance.
- Primary-Color Champion: Peter is still rocking those red-and-blues.
- Sad Clown: Ochako notices that Peter sometimes gets awfully quiet while "reminiscing" about something before he covers it up with a bad joke or two.
- Scars Are Forever: Katsuki gets scars from Venom's claws after getting swatted aside. Katsuki doesn't mind at all, saying that they look, "Bitchin'".
- Super Toughness: Peter has a measure of resistance against blunt forces. It's enough to let him walk away after taking a hit that left him in a large crater in the floor, albeit with him groaning that his everything hurt. When controlled by Venom, Izuku's Full Cowl-enhanced punches barely faze him.
- Take That!: "Into the Spider-Fanfic Verse" has a subtle tongue-in-cheek jab at how the MCU version of Peter struggles to look like The Everyman when he's incredibly good-looking, an Avenger, and gets tons of free stuff from Tony Stark.PPFES Peter: Alright, so you're also me. But you're cooler, more popular, richer, and buddy buddy with Iron Man. All that and you're practically an Avenger? I mean... Damn... Iron Man barely knows my name. He keeps calling me "Tarantula Boy". You're giving me a complex, man.
MCU Peter: You've got it all wrong! First off, I'm not rich! I don't even have $20 on me! And Mr. Stark is just my mentor! He made me my suits and he didn't have to do it at all! He's just generous.
AF Peter and PPFES Peter: [unamused glance at each other] Yup, he's rich.
- Talented, but Trained: Peter's powers, skills, and smarts make him a standout student at U.A., but most of his classmates aren't aware of the fact that it took a lot of trial and error to get there, as Peter constantly got his ass kicked during his early days as a vigilante.
- Took a Level in Kindness: According to the author, Peter was much closer to his Lee-Ditko characterization before the spider-bite: angry, bitter, and anti-social from years of being kicked around. His arrogance and feelings of entitlement after making it big in the wrestling ring convince him to let the robber who would later shoot Ben pass by. Peter has since mellowed out considerably, becoming friendly and approachable, hiding his sadness under his propensity for bad jokes.
- Ungrateful Townsfolk: Despite helping to save New York City on multiple occasions, Peter rarely got positive attention for his work. One post has an exhausted Izuku utterly baffled by the lack of recognition and approval heroes got there.
- Un-Sorcerer: Both Izuku and Peter were born Quirkless, but later got Quirks through outside means.
- Winds of Destiny, Change!: Black Cat has the ability to give others bad luck, which causes all sorts of problems for Peter during their first encounter. Ledges stopped supporting his weight, crooks got faster and more accurate, and his pants tore in the middle of his superheroics. Eventually, she lifted the effects of her Quirk, but by that point, she had already developed a crush on him.
- You Fight Like a Cow: It wouldn't be Spider-Man if he wasn't dropping quips and one-liners in-costume and out.