Parallax is a Webcomic by fightbeast. It began on December 3rd, 2014. It is now completed. A mirror can be found here.
Lomax Torchstone is a shy, awkward 17-year-old trying to make it through school and a dull life in Silverdalen. One day his science teacher gives him a mysterious box, saying that it's just what he needs. Inside the box is a diamond-shaped artefact which gives Lomax magical powers.
What follows is an adventure about personal growth, friendship and fighting supernatural battles and monsters. But it seems even magic can't give you a passing grade in science class.
Parallax provides examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Lomax can summon this to pierce a Matterhorner or slice a tree.
- Agent Peacock: Lewi Kazinsky, The Blue Raiment wielder, is absolutely fabulous, and seems to have a great deal more experience with his Raiment than Lomax.
- Ambiguously Evil: A two-parter, even! Walt and his organization seem to be responsible for the Matterhorners, but have some ties to Dan, as well, showing concern for him. Dan answers to Master Ari, who may or may not be coercing Dan into doing their bidding. At this point, it's hard to say who's right and wrong.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Lomax gets his from his dad. Also Mr. Rogers and Lewi.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: The Raiment requires a Key- a spoken phrase, chosen by the user- to activate. Lomax's, unfortunately, is "What." It could be worse though- Lewi's Key? Ass.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Lomax's suit. Raiments in general, as a matter of fact.
- Combo Platter Powers: With the Raiment, Lomax's power set includes (but is in no way limited to) Flight, Super Strength, X-Ray Vision, creating a Laser Blade, Super Toughness, and Healing Factor. The Purple Raiment's wielder also seems to have some ability to teleport, while Lewi gets a Wave-Motion Gun.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Lomax is still learning the limits of his powers while wielding the Raiment. For instance, just how sharp his Absurdly Sharp Blade is.
- Eldritch Abomination: Matterhorners are a mass-produced, man-made variety. They resemble emaciated corpses with black geometric shapes for heads, are very physically imposing, warp physics around them from their mere presence, and even cause visual distortions like compression artifacts in real life.
- Henshin Hero: Lomax. Lewi takes this trope up to eleven.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Zig-zagged. Lomax can use the Raiment's various abilities with varying degrees of proficiency. He can't consciously fly under his own power yet, but after doing it only once, he can use his Laser Blade with impunity.
- Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Assuming they're not using the Royal "We", Master Ari represents one of these to Dan.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Lomax.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Lomax gets pink hair after activating the Raiment. Lewi gets blue.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni Lomax and Lewi are already forming this dynamic, but with the colors reversed- Lomax being the quiet, calm Blue Oni to Lewi's loud, passionate Red Oni.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Part of Lomax's magic fighter outfit.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: One of the Raiment's many abilities- Lomax gets a pink lightsaber. Purple Raiment? Laser spear. Lewi? Electric guitar.
- Transformation Sequence: Lomax gets one that gives him neat new clothes.
- Transformation Trinket: The Raiment.
- Treacherous Advisor: Played with. Dan does seem to care for Lomax, and is doing his best to help him... but he also has a duty to Master Ari, whose motives are sketchy at best right now.
- Wham Shot: So, Lomax has beaten the Matterhorner in record time, by the looks of things. Suddenly he hears something. He looks up... and sees someone else wearing a Raiment, plummeting toward him with a spear. WHAT??
- Page 130. Second-to-last panel. What's happening to Rogers?
- Wham Line:
- Lomax and Mr. Rogers are discussing the woman with the other Raiment, and why they may have retreated. The following conversation ensues:Mr. Rogers: She probably didn't expect to find me there either and decided to regroup.
Lomax: Um.. Yeah, but... I thought she seemed worried, too.
Mr. Rogers: Worried? What makes you say that?
Lomax: Hmm... If her Raiment is anything like mine... I assume she's seeing the same things I do.
Mr. Rogers: What things?
Lomax: Your legs... When I wear the Raiment, it looks like they're... fading away or something...
Mr. Rogers: (Oh, Crap! expression)
- A gut-bustingly hilarious example on this page:
- Lomax and Mr. Rogers are discussing the woman with the other Raiment, and why they may have retreated. The following conversation ensues: