It's late 1990 and the once popular Jem and the Holograms is really starting to be affected by the quickly shifting music scene of America. Consumers just aren't interested in their 1980s pop anymore. Jerrica thinks it's time that Jem and the Holograms disbands, but her sister and song-writer Kimber disagrees. After an argument, Kimber decides that maybe she should take a break from the band after all. Elsewhere, Stormer's attempts at getting her band interested in the upcoming music from Seattle fails. They hate the loud, depressing music and don't think it'll catch on. After the falling out Stormer quits the band (again). When Kimber calls her on her car phone, Stormer gets the idea of visiting Seattle with Kimber. Kimber agrees and the two set off to figure out what's hot in music.
Not So Glamorous Life is a slow updating Jem comic realistically dealing with the changing music scene of the early 1990s. It is a Stimber comic, but Kimber and Stormer's blooming relationship isn't the main focus of the comic.
Not So Glamorous Life provides examples of:
- Crush Blush:
- Stormer blushes when Kimber asks her if she'd like to hang out with her.
- Stormer blushes heavily when giving Kimber a violet and being hugged by Kimber.
- Curse Cut Short:
"Don't compare me to that—that no good for nothing son-of-a..."
- Jerrica stops hers after realizing what a jerk she's been recently:
"You're through, you backstabbing, mother..."
- Later, Jerrica gets cut off when she curses out a man she's talking to:
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Kimber and Stormer's single "I'm Okay" is a huge hit in Egypt.
- The '90s: Not So Glamorous Life is set in 1990 and is based around how the changing music scene affects the Jem cast.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The comic follows the cartoon's usage of this with such examples as Vanilla White (Vanilla Ice), Mini Panini (Milli Vanilli), and Some Kids from a Corner Block (New Kids on the Block).
- Slash Fic: Stormer and Kimber are the main couple in the comic. There's also implications of Roxy having unrequted feelings for Stormer, as well as Ashley and Deirdre being a couple.