Nichtlustig (a.k.a. Notfunny) is a gag-per-day format comic series by German comic-strip artist Joscha Sauer. According to himself, it was something he did to pass the time, while looking for a real job. That was in 2000. He seems to have quit his search.
So what's it all about? Let's see: Clowns chopping off their legs for no reason, lemmings finding creative ways to commit suicide (or stalking Death), Yetis melting their caves in the course of baking gingerbread... You get the idea.
...Welcome to notfunny!
There exists a German as well as an English version of this strip series. Nichtlustig started as a webcomic, but to date the cartoons have also been published as comic strips and (with some exclusive material) as a 5-volume book series.
Not to be confused with Dude, Not Funny!.
Tropes in the Nichtlustig cartoons:
- Bertha in the Attic: The eighth dwarf.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti
- Brick Joke: Oh so much.
- Camp: The Poodle of Death in his greatcoat ("tuntig gut oder tuntig schlecht?"/English translation "camp gay good or camp gay bad?"), or when he frets about something.
- Classical Movie Vampire
- Cloudcuckoolander: Herr Riebmann / Mr. Hunswacker, who lives inside a wall.
- Death Seeker: The lemmings.
- Dracula: He likes his solar coffin Van Helsing gave him.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: One should always have a penguin around to blame. See?
- German Humor
- Grim Reaper: The suicidal lemmings all have a crush on him.
- Grumpy Old Man: Mr. Riebmann.
- Interspecies Romance: Quite a bit.
- Well, there was this kid with three eyes.
- And the nice gorilla lady who likes her human partner for his personality - not only because he has banana-legs.
- The dog and the dinosaur might qualify. Though it could be argued that his love has something to do with the skeletal buildup of his love interest.
- The lemmings and Death, of course. Allowedly, it is a little one-sided. Also, one could argue that Death doesn't really belong to a species.
- And the tree and the sheep. That's where cotton comes from. (German Baumwolle means literally "tree-wool".)
- Killer Robot: This one's different from the usual kind, though (see picture).
- Mad Scientist: Two of them.
- My God, What Have I Done?: By name.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Some of them just wanna cuddle!
- Porky Pig Pronunciation: Let's just say, it helps if the doctor treating you is able to pronounce heart defibi...defrib...defibiri...defibrillator.
- Running Gag:
- The lemmings trying to commit mass suicide and failing (a crago ship of trampolines passing by, heading away from a cliff due to bad orientation skills...)
- Mr. Riebmann, an old man who lives in the wall and is understandably grumpy about it, who passes the time by getting into arguments with his neighbor.
- Time Machine: Not too surprising with two Mad Scientists.
- Tropaholics Anonymous: Sun-haters Anonymous (snowmen and vampires).