Nerd & Jock is a "wholesome" webcomic written and illustrated by Finnish comic artist Marko Rassina.
The story follows the aforementioned protagonists, Nerd and Jock, two close friends who live together in the same house. Despite embodying the stereotypes that come with being... well, a nerd and a jock, they manage to form a close, "wholesome" friendship that plays off of each other's respective strengths and flaws: Nerd assists Jock with his intelligence, while Jock motivates Nerd to become stronger.
The webcomic can be read here.
Nerd & Jock contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: The staple of the humor for the series is that it plays off of their odd friendship. In the early strips, Jock would act threatening or otherwise make an stereotypically masculine moves towards Nerd, but the reveal would be that the Jock would actually need Nerds' help in some way. More recent strips play with expectations in different ways instead (Nerd getting a miniature rock as a Halloween treat, and out pops a miniature Dwayne Johnson.)
- Dumb Muscle: Subverted with Jock, who appears as a simple-minded bodybuilder when next to the intelligent Nerd, but is capable of introspective and thoughtful moments that imply a deeper personality. He's even aware of the trope, too, and wishes he was smart as Nerd since physical strength can only get someone so far.
- Easily Forgiven: Both Jock and Nerd forgive Stalker Girl for trying to sacrifice Nerd to an eldritch being so she could have Jock all to herself.
- Future Badass: According to Episode 52, both Nerd and Jock will become these in order to fight the M87* black hole.
- Geek Physiques: Nerd is very skinny and short next to the hulking, muscular jock, which he's trying to subvert by taking up weightlifting and exercising. Jock supports him wholeheartedly.
- Jerk Jock: Averted with Jock. Part of the comic's Running Gag is that whenever it looks like Jock is going to torment Nerd, it turns out he's actually doing something nice for him instead. Examples include putting a statue of Nerd in Nerd's locker, approaching him for help on a math problem, borrowing his money to get lunch for both of them, and giving him a "swirlie" (ice cream).
- Lovable Jock: Jock is one of the most lovable examples in fiction. He shares a close friendship with Nerd and is generally very supportive of him, even helping him with exercising and weightlifting.
- Mistaken for Gay: At one point, Stalker Girl says that Nerd is getting in the way of her and Jock's love. Jock gets confused, then Nerd explains to him that the comments make it obvious what she's referring to.
- Mistaken for Undead: Jock is convinced that Stalker Girl is a ghost or a vampire, or possibly even a werewolf.
- Mundane Utility: Nerd has a beastly computer that's powerful enough to run any game at 4K, 60fps, and in VR, but uses it to play Solitaire.
- My God, You Are Serious: Jock claims that he wears his blue cap all the time because it's his Power Limiter for his "real power". Nerd doesn't believe him and takes off the cap, resulting in Jock revealing his true form as a Physical God.
- Nerd: The aforementioned Nerd is a nerd, being a very intelligent and adorable-looking kid who is also an Otaku who collects action figures and watches anime. But he's also quite scrawny and physically weak, something he occasionally mulls over, which is why he took up weight-lifting. Fortunately, Jock has his back.
- Never Bareheaded: Jock is never seen without his blue cap, just as Nerd is never seen without his glasses (though he has good reasons not to be). This gets discussed in Episode 44, where Nerd thinks he's covering a bald spot, but Jock says the cap is his Power Limiter. Nerd doesn't believe it and takes off Jock's cap despite the latter's protests, and discovers that Jock wasn't kidding, as he becomes a godlike being when the cap's off.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Nerd constantly wears a pair of these.
- Older Than They Look: Nerd looks like a 10-year-old, but is shown to go to the same school as Jock goes to. One of the alternative universes they see has him look more like his age.
- Physical God: Arguably, Jock's true form. Nerd discovers that if his blue cap is off, he transforms into a muscular, godlike being with a Third Eye on his forehead, radiating arcs of power from his mere presence.
- Shout-Out: The song Nerd and Jock sing while cleaning up their house in Episode 35 is "Wannabe".
- Stalker with a Crush: Stalker Girl, a goth woman who is obsessed with Jock but hates Nerd. Xarhuul, the eldritch being Stalker Girl worships, has a similar crush on Nerd.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Jock is afraid of cats, as revealed in Episode 61
- Yaoi Fangirl: After the Stalker Girl becomes friends with Nerd and Jock, Stalker Girl starts writing Nerd X Jock fanfiction. Jock is confused because he thought that she hated Nerd, but she explains that the world of fanfiction is "complicated".