Monster: a webcomic made and published on Bitstrips
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Amateur Sleuth: Emerys and Nigel have to figure out everything on their own, because the adults in their lives aren't very forthcoming about what's really going on.
- Burn the Witch!: Nigel was almost killed as a baby for simply being a Mordan.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Nigel is a nice boy, despite the years of constant Fantastic Racism and bullying from Kerek
- Fantastic Racism: Both Emrys and Nigel suffer from this. Everyone expects Emrys to be a fount of wisdom and knowledge, when he skims through his classes, and would rather break rules. Nigel gets the worse end of this because everyone expects him to be evil, when he actually gets good grades and doesn't even hate his bully, Kerek.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Camini is shown to be Nigel's love interest right from the beginning.
- Killed Offscreen: Kerek. evil!Emrys kills him after he pushes Camini off a building.
- Light Is Not Good: Emrys invokes this trope in the beginning of the webcomic before it is discovered he is under the control of Draco. And it is later brought to light that the Elysians' fatal flaw was pride, and this caused Zane Akos and other warlords to become corrupt.
- Muggle Best Friend: Camini. Humans do not have magic, so her best bet is her wits and martial arts.
- One-Word Title
- Our Demons Are Different: The Mordan.
- Our Elves Are Different: The Elysians.
- Post-Modern Magik: Most of the non-human monsters can be killed by guns.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Most humans, with the exception of Camini, Lt. Diamonds, and the Inquisitor, show an immediate dislike of the Mordan. Somewhat justified, considering they were the enemy during the war, but Nigel was a baby when the war ended so he does not deserve the mistreatment he gets.
- Written by the Winners: Thanks to post-war propaganda and the destruction of the Main Library, what is taught to Nigel and Emrys about the war is limited, filtered, and generally not useful at all, especially regarding the Mordan. What Nigel first learned about his powers came from the Inquisitor.