Miss Morgue is a Supernatural Mystery Drama, currently hosted on Tapas.
Monica Morgia is a nightclub act, acting as one of the star attractions in Fortune Waters, a fictional town located in the Louisiana swamplands where the living and undead mesh together in harmony.
Monica's secret power? She can raise the dead back to the land of the living with only her singing voice. With this, she performs for the citizens of Fortune Waters as well as the Morgia Mafia, whom she and her husband Keith are a part of.
One night, after a simple mission gone wrong, Monica discovers the horrid truth: Keith is dead, and can no longer return to the living.
Driven by intrigue and revenge, Monica swears upon her dead husband that she'll discover the real truth behind his death and begins to unravel the secrets of the Morgia family, even at the risk of her own life.
This webcomic can be read here. Regularly updates on Mondays and Thursdays.
This work contains the following tropes:
- Broken Bird: This becomes the focal point of Monica's character arc, with Keith's death serving as the catalyst. As the story progresses she slowly becomes agitated, more impatient, and even more willing to kill at the expense of her skeleton entourage feeling worried for her well-being.
- I Love the Dead: Monica shows this with rather poor timing. Right after Keith's death, she uses her singing ability to bring back his soul and immediately strips to get it on with her dead husband, bones and all.
- The Mafia: The Morgia family; they're the ones who are in charge of running Fortune Waters and keeping tabs on collections and recent actions of other crime syndicates.
- Musical Theme Naming: Each chapter title is named after a song ranging from different genres of rock to J-pop and select other musical groups:
- Chapter 1 - "Fly Me to the Moon", a well-known hit by Frank Sinatra.
- Chapter 2 - "Rolling Girl", a song by Hatsune Miku.
- Chapter 3 - "Hotel Califonia" by Eagles.
- Chapter 4 - "Pumped Up Kicks", the 2010 hit by Foster the People.
- Chapter 5 - "Careless Whisper" by George Michael.
- Chapter 6 - "Moon River", a song made famous by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- Chapter 7 - "I Want You to Want Me", the song from Cheap Trick.
- Chapter 8 - "House of Wolves" by My Chemical Romance.
- Chapter 9 - "The Beast and the Harlot", a song by Avenged Sevenfold.
- Chapter 10 - "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" by AC/DC.
- Chapter 11 - "All The Things She Said", a single by early 2000s duo t.A.T.u..
- Chapter 12 - "Liar", a song by Queen.
- Chapter 13 - "Wolves Without Teeth", from the Icelandic group Of Monsters and Men.
- Chapter 14 - "Echo", another Vocaloid song done by CIRCRUSH.
- Chapter 15 - "Hell Bent", a song by Mystery Skulls.
- Chapter 16 - "Gangster's Paradise", the popular hit by Coolio.
- Chapter 17 - "Rotten Town" by Ludo.
- Chapter 18 - "A Favor, House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria.
- Chapter 19 - "All Along The Watchtower", the hit song by Jimi Hendrix.
- Chapter 20 - "Take Me to Church" by Irish musician Hozier.
- Chapter 21 - "Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson.
- Chapter 22 - "The Real Folk Blues", which was the ending song for Cowboy Bebop, performed by The Seatbelts.
- Chapter 23 - "Dancing Queen" by '70s/'80s Swedish group ABBA.
- Chapter 24 - "Los Angeles Is Burning" by Bad Religion.
- Chapter 25 - "Lying Is The Most Fun" by Panic! at the Disco.
- Chapter 26 - "California King Bed" by Rihanna.
- Necromancer: Monica's main ability. All she needs to do is sing a song, and she can summon a targeted lost soul back into the living as a skeleton.
- Skeletal Musician: Monica always summons her three main skeletal confidants - Geraldine, Mickey, and Lou - as her accompaniment for her nightclub singing act.
- Trigger Happy: Mickey by a long shot. In any confrontation, he immediately offers his "help" to shoot down any uncooperative party for Monica.