Minion is a fantasy webcomic by Andrew Fox. It follows the adventures of Gin, a young man honoring a childhood promise (and also looking for a place to stay), and his employer the Dark-Witch-for-Hire Meryl.
Partly High Fantasy, but mostly laugh-out-loud comedy. Updates Wednesdays, probably. As of 2016-Apr-25, the most recent update was 2012-Feb-11. For the unrelated webcomic produced by Minion Comics, see Minion Comics.
Examples of tropes occurring in Minion:
- Art Evolution: Oh yeah.
- Battle Butler
- Berserk Button:
- When Antonie talked about wanting to do things to Meryl, Gin beat the tar out of him. When he also remembered that Antonie had tried to eat Rico and Ellaine...Gin: "Don't be ridiculous. I'm not going to throw you off a cliff." [BOOT] "Technically, I'm kicking you."
- Also, Meryl when anyone, read: Rico, insults her spellwork or appearance.
- When Antonie talked about wanting to do things to Meryl, Gin beat the tar out of him. When he also remembered that Antonie had tried to eat Rico and Ellaine...
- Childhood Marriage Promise:Kid!Meryl: "Someday, I'm going to be a powerful dark witch!"
Kid!Gin: "Cool! Can I be your minion?"
- Deadpan Snarker: Rico, so very much.
- Land Mine Goes "Click!"
- Delicious Distraction:Rico: "No way! We came here to get rid of her! And nothing you say is going to change our minds! Nothing!"
Gin: "Oh? Well that's too bad...And here I had this GREAT chocolate chip cookie recipe just lying around the tower—"
- Drill Hair: Sister Madeline.
- Elemental Embodiment: The eight elemental planesnote are home to an assortment of entities that magicians can summon. So far we have Shari, a treasure guardian from Fire, and Hai'dan, an omniperceptive yet somehow still incompetent scout from Darkness.
- Evil Sorcerer: It's a lucrative business.
- Expecting Someone Taller: When The Knight came to challenge the dark witch, and Meryl came out, he asked who the heck she was.
- Face Palm: Meryl. She'll probably be doing that a lot.
- Fantastic Racism: Gin has been hunted like an animal ever since he was a teenager because he's a werewolf. He's an incredibly nice guy.
- Freakiness Shame: Kid!Gin thought that Kid!Meryl's red eyes were awesome.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: Gin is a friendly werewolf.Rico: "Um...can Gin come out and play?"
- Hired Guns: Hired Dark Witch, plus minion.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Count Antonie, the vampire, tries to hypnotize Meryl. She sees right through it, clobbers him, and has Gin throw him out.
- Idiot Hero: Gin
- Immune to Mind Control: The vampire Prince Charming Wannabe Count Antonie tries to use his Hypnotic Eyes on Meryl, with predictable results.Meryl: [PUNCH] "I'm a dark witch you moron! Did you honestly think I didn't know about that stupid 'Hypno-Eye' of yours?!"
- Licked by the Dog: Cats hate Gin, but dogs all seem to love him. There's a reason for that, by the way.
- Load-Bearing Hero: Gin did this to a magic-proof Descending Ceiling trap.
- Marshmallow Hell: here
- Minion with an F in Evil: Gin again.
- Mundane Utility: Meryl's illusion spells.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Parodied. Antonie's vampiric powers make him nigh impossible to kill...but still dead easy to beat up.
- Non-Action Guy: Alfred.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Gin. He's usually a normal, friendly guy (albeit super-strong and Made of Iron), but he turns into a type 4 werewolf as a Defense Mechanism Superpower.
- Paper Tiger: Count Antonie's vampiric powers make it nigh-impossible to kill him...but merely beating him up is a dead easy.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Gin has been on the run constantly for six years. His clothes are literally rags.
- Servile Snarker: Hai'dan.
- He's a Friend: The gang meeting Shari.
- Tag Along Kid: Rico and Ellaine.
- Totem Pole Trench: The Knight that came to slay Meryl was in fact Rico and Ellaine wearing a helm and a cloak. It's a good thing the cloak blew open when it did, since the Knight had by that point hit several of Meryl's Berserk Buttons and she was about a second away from blasting "him" into cinders.
- Trash of the Titans: Meryl's tower, before she got a minion to clean up. Gin sees this and comments that she's gotten a lot tidier since they were kids.
- Trouser Space: Alfred has very big pockets.
- Unusual Ears: Meryl's weird three-pointed ears. Also, Ellaine has pointy elf ears.