In the village of Adatt, Iremi, the tomboy granddaughter of a local witch, sees the infamous immortal mage Edermask passing by. After an attack on the hometown, she chooses to travel with him across the world dragging her childhood friend, the novice swordsman Enzu as Edermask tries to find the secret to his own immortality. However along with Edermask come bounty hunters attempting to hunt him for the prospect of immortality. All the while there seem to be some hunters that have an ulterior motive for bringing in Edermask.
The second part comes after the 8 year Time Skip and alters the premise so that the quest is now that of an aged up Iremi, Enzu and Matthew to find Edermask after his failed battle against Janus.
Magician contains examples of:
- Art Evolution: The art was quite rough in the first chapters but it has improved.
- Berserk Button: Threatening Natasha for Edermask.
- Blessed With Suck: How Edermask sees his immortality.
- Cursed With Awesome: Unsurprisingly how everyone else sees Edermask's immortality.
- Disc-One Nuke: Edermask could have pretty much trounced everything during the first half of part 1.
- Disc One Final Arc: Where Edermask flies off alone to confront Janus once and for all. And predictably, completely fails.
- Downer Ending: Part 1 though one could also call it a Downer Beginning from another point of view.
- Embarrassing First Name: The Merchant's.
- Immortality: Edermask and Janus type II.
- Green Thumb: Iremi's speciality.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dirt to prevent a sneak attack on Iremi.
- Immortality Seeker: Pretty much anyone pursuing Edermask who isn't under Janus's command.
- Lovable Rogue: Dirt
- Master Swordsman: Enzu by part 2.
- Not So Stoic: Edermask in regards to Natasha
- Our Dragons Are Different: Matthew
- The Bad Guy Wins: In the end, Janus ends up reuniting the continent and taking Natasha in part 1.
- Shock and Awe: Edermask's main attack.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Despite Iremi being built up as the main character, Enzu seems to take more and more focus as the series goes on.
- Talking Weapon
- Time Skip: Between part 1 and 2.
- The Mole: The merchant. He gets better.
- Walking the Earth: Edermask and his companions although they have a specific purpose.