Chainey is a narcoleptic amnesiac who meets the self-proclaimed hero of Soverign City, Maggot Boy (a.k.a. Davey) after waking up dead in a land fill. Together they protect the city from zombies. Actually, it's more like a zombie, but he's a very troublesome one.
Went on an indefinite hiatus as of August 2019, and resumed updating as of May 2021
Now with an (in progress) Character Page!
This webcomic provides examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Davey is in love with Sam, who is in love with Lazaro who hates everyone.
- All There in the Manual: There is a written version that provides more details than the comic, as well as various reference sheets on the artist's deviantart.
- Ambiguously Brown: Sam is simply listed as having a mixed race background.
- Animal Motifs: Owen wears a cat-ear hoodie, he's certainly smug, vain, vicious, and manipulative.
- Art Evolution: The backgrounds have dramatically improved since the start of the comic.
- Break the Cutie: PJ is going through this, having an ammoral psyopathic zombie stalker on top of bullies and a dead older brother has pushed him off the edge somewhat
- Death of a Child: Claire Lazaro's 5-year old daughter is a zombie.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Davey on being dissected by Marianne has parallels to rape.I couldn't get the feeling of you out of me for months!
- Horror Hunger: When an aware zombie doesn't eat they go into a feral state, and only humans can satisfy their hunger. Luckily for the heroic awares, the government of the city provides them with organs, so they don't hurt anyone.
- Improvised Weapon: Davey has been known to fight with a wrench.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Davey quite clearly cares about Sam, the random public, and Chainey quite a lot. He's also rude, dismissive of others problems, and selfish.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Aversion. Owen likes cats and seems to feed random strays...with human organs he harvested himself in cold blood.
- Love Triangle: A type 5 between Davey, Sam, and Lazaro. And more recently a type 3 has formed, with both Davey and Carville competing for Sam.
- Necromancer: Lazaro and Sam. Lazaro used his necromancy to save the city from a horde of zombies.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Chainey is a beanpole with no muscle tone.
- Our Zombies Are Different: There's the Aware, which are zombies that can think for themselves, and the Mindless, which are your standard Romero zombies.
- Phlegmings: Just about every zombie at one point or another, Aware or otherwise.If it is an Aware, generally it happens as they're going Feral.
- Sympathetic P.O.V.: During Marianne's and Owen's confrontation reader sympathy was largely on Owen's side, likely because readers know what she wants to do with him and the fact that he spends most of it fighting off a tranquilizer, leaving him looking young and helpless.
- Teeth Flying: We're fairly sure this is how Owen chipped his tooth.
- Tempting Fate: Owen gives back PJ's gun since it's empty, and thus can longer be used to hurt him. PJ hits him in the face with it.
- Terms of Endangerment: Davey meets the doctor who dissected him when he was freshly undead. She calls him "sweetheart" and says "I missed you terribly". Davey is less than civil.
- Refers to Owen as "Cupcake" during their first meeting after shooting him in the arm, considering she wants to continue her experiments on him...
- Toothy Issue: Owen has a chipped front tooth and a serious overbite.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Owen, most prominently. Now he's unintentionally getting PJ in on it.
- Villainous Rescue: Lazaro is counting on one to catch Owen, using PJ as his bait.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Raimi seems incapable of finding a well-fitting shirt.
- When They Smile: The main six all have wonderful smiles, especially Owen!◊
- Younger than They Look: This guy is only 26, but maintaining a city-wide Cast from Lifespan necromancy spell for four days straight does a number on the constitution.