MOLEBASHED originally began as a black-and-white comic strip titled The Molebashes and was published on the cartoonist's Facebook page during the fall of 2014. Surprised by the positive reaction of readers, Wes decided to reboot the comic with a new name, a new character design for the cartoon version of himself, and a limited color scheme. The cartoon currently updates every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
MOLEBASHED contains examples of:
- Ask a Stupid Question...: Wes asks a doctor when the Delivery Room will descend into utter chaos a la every medical drama ever.
- Cuteness Proximity: When Wes holds his son, Parker, for the first time, he experiences an intense case of Cuteness Overload.
- Life Embellished: The cartoonist has admitted the comic is an embellished version of his own life as a husband and father. According to the About page on the MOLEBASHED website, "The Cartoon Version of Wes is about 10% thinner and 20% more interesting than Real Life Wes."
- Limited Wardrobe: Two of the main characters - Kari and Wes - wear the same black shirt/blue jeans combo.
- Panicky Expectant Father: When Wes and Kari arrive at the hospital only to find the receptionist isn't at her desk, Wes goes into action mode.
- Survival Mantra: As Wes prepares to fill out forms before he and Kari leave the hospital with their son, he says a prayer that he won't make any mistakes.