Upon becoming Xi's Spirit Shadow, Jinghua was sucked into the politics of the Duanmu family and became the target of many evil intentions. To make matters worse, Xi seemed to keep lots of secrets from him. Why did Xi revive Jinghua's spirit when they did not even know each other?
Ling Qi was adapted into a donghua (Chinese animation) with the same name in 2017. The donghua was then dubbed in Japanese and had a number of aesthetic elements modified to create the anime Spiritpact. Both animation series followed pretty closely with the first arc of the webcomic (until around chapter 100). The Japanese dub can be watched legally on Web Site/Crunchyroll.
Ling Qi contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Evil: Yinzhe. He seems to care a lot about toying with and hurting Jinghua. Yet sometimes when Duanmu Xi or Yang Jinghua seeks his assistance, he would actually offer his hand.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Played by many characters throughout the series, but most notably by Yang Jinghua and Qin Siyao.
- Broken Bird: Duanmu Xi.
- Berserk Button: Yang Jinghua, when anyone tries to hurt Duanmu Xi. Also vice versa.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Again, Duanmu Xi.
- Disposable Fiancé: Qin Siyao - Duanmu Xi's fiance. In fact, Duanmu Xi doesn't even sign the engagement paper.
- And in the donghua, after Duanmu Xi and Yang Jinghua's Soul Contract signing ceremony (of sorts), she is found tearing up and lamenting about how her fiance got married off to another man. The poor girl does realize her situation.
- Drama Queen: Well, Duanmu Xi usually acts logically but sometimes, one cannot help but ponder why the guy is so dramatic. Like why does he have to jump into a heavy rain and act all emotional knowing that it would worsen his serious wounds?
- Energy Donation: Duanmu Xi and Yang Jinghua just love doing this to each other.
- Fanservice: Basically the very core of Ling Qi is fanservice. Tons of them. Duanmu Xi and Yang Jinghua have kissed for 7 times throughout the entire series (up till this point in time), have hugged each other lovingly on numerous occasions and have held hands for countless times. Not to mention, half of what they speak to each other are practically love confessions. Need I say more?
- Forgotten First Meeting: Duanmu Xi and Yang Jinghua met each other for the first time around 8-10 years ago. Xi was then a target of bullying due to his ability of seeing spirits; Jinghua wanted to protect him but never managed too since Xi suddenly moved away. In the present day, only Xi is aware that he and Jinghua met each other previously but he never tells Jinghua about it.
- I Can Still Fight!: Duanmu Xi sneaks out of hospital and gets into some serious fights literally just after Yang Jinghua stabbed him right through the chest.
- Magic Kiss: The method of energy transfer between our 2 leads.
- Only Friend: Exactly how Duanmu Xi sees Yang Jinghua. This is mentioned explicitly by Xi himself a few times throughout the series. Xi also sees Jinghua as the only person who does not have any ulterior motive against Xi.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Yang Jinghua.
- Sleepyhead: Duanmu Xi sleeps a lot, not surprisingly considering that he uses all his energy to purify the world.
- Third Wheel: Sorry, Qin Siyao...
- Considering that the love of her life (Duanmu Xi) has buckets of "lovey dovey" moments with another guy (Jinghua, obviously), it is inevitable that our poor "female lead" has to be put in this role.
- Took a Level in Badass: Yang Jinghua, in episode 18/19/20 when he draws Zicheng's sword to protect Duanmu Xi, and then just about every time he's in his adult form, afterwards.