Originally started as a short called 'Coffee Date' but evolved into a mini comic series on Tumblr.
A story about closeted teenagers sorting out their complex lives. The main leads are Jassie, Nina and Damian. These friends are going through their frustrating emotions and confusion with gender roles, love and self acceptance. They like to hang out at Lavender Cafe to reflect on the past or obstacles.
Lavender Tea provides examples of the following tropes:
- Cheerful Child: Jasper (Jassie) shows non-aggressive behavior and often smiles. He is also In Touch with His Feminine Side as well.
- Troubledbut Cute: Damian is seen as attractive with a few admirers in school. A mischievous guy with a hidden past.
- Oneofthe Boys: Nina displays this as she likes being boyish and seen like one of her male friends.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Damian has an implied crush on his friend Jasper when they were kids which the other wasn't aware of.
- Odd Friendship: Damian starts out in a competitive rivalry with Nina, slowly becoming friends over time.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: the comic subverts this message with two guys. Jassie is possibly the gentle girl role
- Just Friends: Nina and Damian are simply comrades but their school peers confuse their "friendship love" as more which made the two feel awkward.
- Like Brother and Sister: Nina displays a dotting affection to Jasper. To her, he is similar to a younger brother.
- Brilliantbut Lazy: describes Damian as he has strong skills but it's up to whether he wants to use them.