Ladies-in-Waiting is a comedy webcomic that first launched in October 2015. It is a daily comic strip about a group of little girls — the bone-idle Zoë, the blissfully naive Rachel, the self-obsessed Charlotte, the always-angry Olivia, the wealthy snob Harriet and the chirpy northerner Wendy - and their whimsical, humorous lives. It's a little like an all-female, far more British Peanuts with more slightly blue humour.
Despite the title, it has absolutely nothing do with actual ladies-in-waiting.
Ladies in Waiting provides examples of:
- Asleep in Class: Zoë has been known to doze through her lessons.
- Beat Panel: This strip mostly consists of beat panels.
- Chromosome Casting: Occasionally a man might be mentioned (such as one of the girls' fathers), but every single character we actually see is female.
- Confused Question Mark: A single question mark has been seen hovering over some characters' heads.
- Creator Career Self-Deprecation: In this strip, Zoë's idea for a career that requires no effort is: a cartoonist.
- Expressive Hair: Rachel's hair tends to flip upwards whenever she's shocked or frightened.
- Girlish Pigtails: Rachel always sports a pair of pigtails.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much to snap Olivia into a rage, as evidenced by this strip.
- I'll Take That as a Compliment: Charlotte invokes this trope almost word-for-word in this strip.
- Oop North: Wendy is from Durham, always wears a flat cap and speaks with a North East accent so thick that other characters can struggle to understand her.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Charlotte's right eye is always entirely covered by her hair.
- Primal Scene: Rachel walks in on her mum and dad at night in this strip.
- That Cloud Looks Like...: Zoë and Rachel indulge in a spot of cloud watching in this strip.