Hot Dagn is a webcomic by Smackjeeves user Slitherhen (aka Slitherbot). It follows an anthropomorphic dog named (she thinks) Hot Dagn, who wakes up with amnesia in an unfamiliar house full of odd rooms. As she navigates the house she meets a variety of other characters, some of whom (including Hot) with a mysterious affliction that causes them to temporarily lose specific parts of their bodies. Some characters also have complete amnesia, while with others its less clear what they do or dont know, and then theres the dangerous purple goop that seems to be stalking them
The comic went on hiatus in June 2017 and it's archive is currently unavailable as the author wishes to remake the comic at an unspecified future date.
This series provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Many characters have unusual names like Hot, Polyric, or Meep, and then there's Jon.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Use numerous times in the early part of the comic. It's unclear if they're even supposed to funcion as vents in the first place.
- Amnesiac Hero: Hot
- Amusing Injuries: Mostly more bemusing than amusing, but there are some instances of this as well.Jon: DEATH IS NEAR!Jon: it...doesn't hurt??
- An Axe to Grind: Bonbons weapon of choice
- Answer Cut:Bonbon: WHERE DID ALL THE CHAIRS GO??!Cut to Burr with a walky-talkyBurr: INDIGO UR NOT GONNA BELIEVE THIS BUT I JUST STOLE 72 CHAIRS
- Anthropomorphic Objects: Burr and Litlok for sure, as well as Jon and Indigo.
- April Fools: A couple of joke comics were made and posted as regular updates on different years, and later taken down. They can still be viewed on the creator's deviantArt page here and here.
- Art Evolution: The rendering of the characters and the backgrounds become more complex as the story progresses.
- Art Shift: The comic frequently switches between a flat, MS-Paint-pencil-and-paintbucket art style and a more painterly style (notably used during the intermission), based on the mood of the panel in question. As of Chapter 5 Page 12, the flat art is used more consistently, but gradients and textures are added to achieve good lighting and atmosphere.
- Berserk Button: Hot seems to have limited tolerance for people bullying her friends, which Pluck learns the hard way.
- Pluck also might have one for the purple goop creatures, considering his reaction when Meep asked if he and Bonbon were working them. Later when Bonbon punches him in the face and gives him a black eye, he seems more infuriated by the presence of the teethy purple monster than by violence on his person.
- Big Fancy House: Where the characters are seemingly trapped.
- Bizarrchitecture: Some aspects of the house just seem a little off, like the hot and cold rooms or the dizzying corridor, but Pluck encounters a hall of doors that seem to warp you from one to another.
- Blob Monster: The purple stuff. Some of the creatures take more concrete form (Gloopy Box, Teethy, etc.), but plenty of it seems to be sentient amorphous goo.
- Body Horror: Several of the main characters frequently have body parts disappear at random intervals. While this appears to be painless (usually), it seems to happen in a very gory manner.
- Bond One-Liner:
Bonbon: mind if i cut in ?!?
- Chapter 4 Page 7
- Crazy-Prepared: Bonbon seems to have a large number of useful things stashed in her inventory, including spare weapons and clothing.
- Eye Scream: Pluck. While the initial facial injuries were inflicted by Hot, Pluck himself: is the one who invokes this trope.
- Chapter 5 page 42: Go courtesy of the fork in Jon's inventory
- Embarrassing First Name: Jollybingo Indigo, according to Word of God.
- Gasp!: Meep when he looks into the trapdoor that Pluck had been inspecting.
- Good-Times Montage: The week in the Happy Room.
- Identity Amnesia: Hot, Meep, Jon, and Litlok. Hot seems to remember her name upon seeing it written down, while the others are assigned names by other characters.
- Improvised Weapon: When the gang goes to arm themselves, Hot finds a Deadly Knife, while Jon equips a small fork.
- Large Ham: Pluck.Pluck: LADIES AND GENTLEMAN SAVE UR QUESTIONS 4 LATER!!! BECAUSE UR ABOUT TO HAVE YOUR SOCKS ROCKED! UR MINDS EX-Bonbon: GET TO THE POINT MAN
- Let's Split Up, Gang!:Bonbon: Just! Just take these halls.Hot: this is where we split up and look for clues!
- Line-of-Sight Name: How Hot names Jon.
- Mama Bear: Meeps mom appears to be this.
- Mind Screw: The infinite doors.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Plucks orange glasses appear to be this. Although they may be masking the fact that his eyes are bright red.
- Scary Teeth: Pluck's mouthful of pointy teeth.
- Shipper on Deck: Jon, possibly.
- Shout-Out: On page 3 of chapter 2, the drawing of the key on the floor is a shout out to a scene in Homestuck, which in turn was a reincarnation of a scene from the earlier MS Paint Adventures comic, Jailbreak.
- Spit Take: Hot gets one of the I Ate WHAT?!? variety when she learns where her tea came from. Rude.