Paradox Space has fallen, consumed by a black hole large enough to contain a multiverse. No longer must our heroes toil in the service of the "alpha timeline." The Prince and his Seers seek to preserve the Canon-That-Was at great personal and narrative cost. But inside the black hole, those who the paradox once discarded seek to claw back to relevance and escape to the Fanontinuum, a new fabric of story and space woven by the hands of new narrators, thousands of voices that fill the vacuum left by the death of the author.
Andrew Hussie has stated that this comic — like the Epilogues on which it follows up — is intended to explore various ideas and themes about the very concept of "canon" itself, blurring the lines between Fanon and canon, and should be treated as a separate-but-connected entity to the original Homestuck. Or not, depending on if you want to. Hussie himself is directly involved in the project, producing a general outline of the story; however, much of the actual writing is to be done by a series of other writers.
Can be found here.
> Gather articles of supplemental data related to Homestuck^2: Beyond Canon.
- The Alcoholic: Candy-timeline Jake turned into quite the example over the years, though when we first see him he's been trying to hold off on the stuff. When he takes up the bottle again, he's seen imagining the adventures he had in his youth.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different:
- The POV changes from Meat-timeline Dirk to Candy-timeline Jake when the comic enters Chapter 1.
- Then it goes back to Meat in Chapter 3, this time focusing on those chasing after Dirk.
- Ascended Meme: Terezi mentions having perused Dirk's "book about horses" and been deeply confused by it, particular a part about memes; this is a clear reference to the Pony Pals book that Dirk defaced, and more specifically to the fanmade full version. She even quotes the iconic line "Remember Longcat, Jane?" directly.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Rosebot and Terezi have entered into a blackrom relationship over the three year trip.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: Ultimate Dirk from the Meat Epilogue timeline and Jane Crocker from the Candy Epilogue timeline.
- The Bus Came Back: Brain Ghost Dirk returns after last being seen in the events prior to [S] Game Over. He shows up in Jake's dream and later helps form a plan of rebellion. Whether he really is as independent from Ultimate Dirk as he claims remains unknown.
- Canon Welding: As of the bonus Catnapped update 3, Problem Sleuth has been pulled into this pile of absolute bullshit, and is still having issues with leaving his office.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Ultimate Dirk has adopted the mantle of "antagonist" with glee.DIRK: Well, I'm an antagonist now. That's what I do.
TEREZI: OH MY GOD G3T OV3R YOURS3LF 1 4M B3GG1NG YOU
- Comically Serious: Dirk of course, much to Terezi's display. Alt!Calliope in the Meat timeline as well.
- Desecrating the Dead: As soon as Tavros lays eyes on Gamzee's corpse, he starts kicking it repeatedly before letting out a Cathartic Scream.
- Disposing of a Body: Finding a decent spot to dispose of a major religious figure's body? Sketchy. A trio of awkward teens doing the same while fumbling with the body in the empty high school halls? Slightly less sketchy, but far more amusing.
- Droste Image: This page shows Dirk holding a recursive panel of himself holding a panel.
- Failed a Spot Check: Candy-timeline Jane didn't realize her husband was gone for several days. Played for Drama, Jake comments on it, and it hammers it home for him how little she really cares for him, and is the nail in the coffin that finally makes him take Brain Ghost Dirks advice to turn against her.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: Dirk opens up a suggestion box for the readers to use, noting it's one of the things the comic used to do before it got convoluted. As soon as he gets a suggestion he doesn't like (the page image quote), he slices the suggestion box to bits and declares it a smarter idea to let him write his own commands. It worked for the other guy, after all.
- Interquel: The stories set in the Candy timeline take place around Candy chapter 38.
- Inventional Wisdom: The ship the story opens on, which Dirk has dubbed the Theseus, contains - among other things - multiple fully stocked drinks cabinets, a movie theatre, and a shooting range. Unfortunately, landing gear is conspicuous by its absence. Dirk is rather disgruntled to learn that the only way to land the thing is a controlled crash.
- Instant Humiliation: Just Add YouTube!: One kid among the crowd that catches Tavros and the Vriskas carrying Gamzee's corpse and streams the scene to YouTube.
- Lame Pun Reaction: During chapter 4, Rose and Dirk have a brief digression on meme culture.Dirk: Meme-a culpa.
Rose: I regret everything.
- Metaphorically True: Candy-timeline Jane tells Jake that her son has been captured and brainwashed by a couple of rebels who've taken Gamzee's corpse. When we actually see the scene in question, we see that the "rebels" are a couple of non-conforming troll teens bringing the corpse through a human school, and Tavros went along with the plan when he figured out who the corpse was.
- Mood Whiplash: The comic goes right from Dave and Kanaya having a touching conversation about their relationships and issues to snarking about Jake's backside.Dave: every serious conversation i have inevitably falls apart into riffing on a casual acquaintances ass
- My God, You Are Serious: Harry Anderson thought Vrissy was joking about hiding a corpse. One look at his phone some time later, and he blanks out.
- Named After Somebody Famous: All the named humans in the Candy universe are named after popular human figures in the old universe, like Harry Anderson, Avril, and Silas.
- One Steve Limit: Vriska Serket gives Vriska Lalonde-Maryam the nickname of "Vrissy" to evoke this trope. It's at least a step up from how they handled her name before, where her name was in (parenthesis).
- Purple Prose: Someday, Dirk Strider will learn to shut up. Today is not that day. Even Rosebot comes across as restrained compared to him, which is quite a feat given what Rose was like back in the original comic.
- Revisiting the Roots: The suggestion box is back, after disappearing near the end of year one of Homestuck. Dirk himself also has this as his overarching motivation - to take the comic's narrative and tonal direction back to where it was before everything went pear-shaped.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Dave and Karkat from the Meat timeline wear each other's shirts in Chapter 3.
- Shout-Out: Hussie gave Bro Strider pointy anime shades without knowing about Kamina, but fans immediately made the connection to another badass 'bro' figure with the style. Dirk takes things full circle and wears a recolored version of Kamina's outfit.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Rosebot retains the faculty for this she possessed in the original Homestuck.ROSEBOT: I'd say it's more of an ontological, existential headache, but that already describes basically everything that's ever happened to us up until now.
ROSEBOT: And also sounds as fake as shit.
- Stylistic Self-Parody: When Terezi commands Dirk to do a typical "[X] like a [Y]" action, he almost goes through with it before Terezi gets mad that he didn't reject it comedically. The other intro trend of doing weird things until the narrative sets them back on track is completely skipped over, instead having Dirk tell the audience he did all of that and just showing the aftermath.
- Take Our Word for It: Dirk discusses the trope when he realizes he doesn't have to narrate everything about his life since he's got narrative powers, and later invokes it when he talks about Showing Vs Telling with Terezi. He then narrates that he was put through a lot of silly commands in retaliation, which Terezi lampshades:TEREZI: 1M GL4D 1 GOT TO W4TCH 1T 4LL THROUGH TH1S SCR33N TOO
TEREZI: S1NC3 1 WOULD N3V3R H4V3 B3L13V3D YOU 4CTU4LLY D1D 1T 4LL OTH3RW1S3
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Terezi hauls Rose and Dirk over the coals during chapter 4:TEREZI: W3 M4Y B3 1N COMPL3T3 4GR33M3NT 4BOUT D1RK B31NG 4 T3D1OUS NOOKW1P3,
TEREZI: BUT, N3WSFL4SH
TEREZI: YOU 4R3N'T 4CTU4LLY 4NY B3TT3R!!!!!!!! >8O
TEREZI: SL33P W1THOUT SOPOR DO3SN'T COM3 34SY TO MY SP3C13S, 4ND Y3T 1 SOM3HOW M4N4G3D TO SP3ND 4 GOOD CHUNK OF OUR THR33 Y34R JOURN3Y UNCONSC1OUS
TEREZI: TH4T'S HOW FUCK1NG T3D1OUS TH3 TWO OF YOU 4R3
TEREZI: 4ND TH3 WORST P4RT 1S TH4T N31TH3R OF YOU H4V3 TH3 D3C3NCY TO DO 4NYTH1NG L3G1T1M4T3LY 4WFUL
TEREZI: YOU JUST S1T TH3R3 4ND DRON3 ON 4ND ON, T4LK1NG 4BOUT TH1NGS TH4T DON'T M4TT3R 4ND 4SK1NG QU3ST1ONS TH4T DON'T H4V3 4NSW3RS
TEREZI: W3R3 ON 4 N3W PL4N3T, S331NG TH1NGS WH1CH H4V3 POSS1BLY N3V3R B33N 3XP3R13NC3D B3FOR3, 4ND 4LL YOU C4N TH1NK TO DO 1S HOL3 UP 1N 4 C4V3 4ND R3GURG1T4T3 COMPL3T3LY PO1NTL3SS BULLSH1T
- Time Skip: Dirk mentions that three years have passed since the end of the Meat part of the Homestuck Epilogues.