Heliothaumic was an abandoned Science Fantasy webcomic by Nora Riley. Sadly, after around 280 strips and a partial reboot Nora realised that even she didn't know where she was going with the story and gave up on it. The domain it was hosted on has since expired and the archive is no longer available online.
The story has had three incarnations: The Midlands, Heliothaumic, and Iothera. All three focus on Silth/Takako, a 200-year-old half-elf researcher, and her friends, some of whom appear in more than one incarnation.
It is mostly about topless adventures in imperialism with Professor Kiyohara Takako. The plot is tangled, and complicated and has an emphasis on fashion and international politics. Also there are Moon Vampires.
Be warned that this webcomic is definitely NSFW.
Heliothaumic contains examples of:
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Takako dismisses Lydia's reports of vampires.
- Art Evolution
- Costume Porn: from traditional Chartannian dress to modern Kyokanese.
- The Empire
- Everything's Better with Princesses: This is Cassandra's reaction when she learns Takako is the daughter of the queen of Ilthmir.Cassandra: A pretty pretty princess.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Kyokan resembles Japan; Chartannia resembles Britain; the Coastlands resemble the United States; Beiguo resembles China.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: elves, goblins, vampires, magic...
- God Save Us from the Queen!: The once-proud elven nation of Ilthmir has been reduced to a third-world dictatorship by its tyrannical queen.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: The author is certainly fond of her lesbians.
- Hot Scientist: Takako.
- Improbably Female Cast: All of the main characters are women.
- Magitek: Ubiquitous. Word of God says "Magic is prevalent enough to be used as a supplement to or a base for technological devices that are equivalent to our watches and cell phones". The comic takes its name from a magitek power source.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Roman-themed lesbian druidic moon-vampire elves.
- Old Shame: RMG has basically said "forget Heliothaumic exists" to anyone going in to Iothera.
- Our Elves Are Better
- Our Goblins Are Different: Cute, in a sharp-toothed way.
- Our Vampires Are Different: moon vampires.
- The Remake: Heliothaumic is a remake of The Midlands, and in turn has a remake in Iothera.
- Scars Are Forever
- Schoolgirl Lesbians
- Steampunk: Chartannia has steampunk aesthetics, including airships, but at a much higher technology level.