Dum Cat is a single-paneled wordless webcomic series about a dumb cat who does dumb things, most often being dangerous behavior. The series is understated in its premise, largely basing its artistic value within its underlying themes. The series is drawn and run by an artist only known as D.
The series began officially on April 1st, 2013, the latest post being on April 22nd of 2016. As of now, the series appears to be on hiatus, but the artist has stated to be planning on producing a feature-length book along with Dum Cat merch. There are 65 issues to date.
Tropes related to this work:
- The Alcoholic: Dum is seen badly dazed in one scene after drinking what appears to be a martini. It is not clear whether this is normal behavior for her.
- Amusing Injuries: As the most prominent Running Gag.
- Arc Words: "Dum Cat posted/added/etc. something dumb".
- Cerebus Rollercoaster: The series will often and suddenly flip from harmless Amusing Injuries to depressing concepts, such as alcoholism, near overdose, and even hints at the possibility Dum might actually be trying the commit suicide. There are several scenes of Dum sitting in the dark wearing a forlorn expression. It is hinted that Dum is grieving over something.
- Character Title
- The Ditz: Dum, as she appears not not completely understand the world around her. Though she may also qualify as The Fool, as she often does
- Fond Memories That Could Have Been: In one of the recent installments, Dum is seen peering into a mirror (possibly a Magic Mirror) and seeing herself as an astronaut. It appears that this was her dream.
- Goomba Stomp: An elephant does this to Dum.
- Hidden Depths: Dum apparently dreams of becoming an astronaut.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Dum, unless that is her given name. That would constitute a case of Unfortunate Name.
- Literal Metaphor: Elephant in the Living Room—Dum gets stepped on by it.
- Minimalism: The art for the comics are normally done on simple graph or lined paper or something similar.
- Minimalist Cast: Aside from household vermin and a , Dum is the only character in the series.
- Hilariously Illiterate: Around the 7th installment, Dum looks down confusedly at a newspaper. Knowing the series' theme, the trope comes in hand.
- Potty Failure: In one scene, Dum poops on the lid of the toilet instead of the inside.
- Running Gag: Dum lifting up her leg to urinate on objects.
- Self-Harm: Dum is depicted constantly doing dangerous/harmful things. Although, it appears he is doing it not because she wants to get hurt, but because she truly doesn't know any better.
- Silence Is Golden
- Stylistic Suck: Dum, as well as her world, is drawn in crude marker with little detail added.
- Web Comic: Loosely.