Dragon Ball Zero: the origin of Raditz is a short doujinshi by Toyble, published in the 2000's.
This is one of the very few mangas known by Toyotarō before he became part of the creative staff of Dragon Ball Super. Is largely Outdated by Canon, however, due to implementing material from the movies.
Not to be confused with a fanfic of the same name.
This doujinshi presents the following tropes:
- Adaptational Nice Guy: Bardock was a cold-blooded soldier in Dragon Ball Z: Bardock The Father of Goku, with him not caring about his son Kakarot (and implying he doesn't have a high opinion on Raditz either). In here, Bardock treats Raditz nicely, and even gives him part of his equipment telling him that next time they'll fight together. It doesn't happen.
- Age Lift: Turles is a child in this version, and he was a member of Raditz's squad. In Daizenshuu and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Turles age is at least implied to be the same as Bardock, meaning he is old enough to be Raditz's uncle.
- Bastard Bastard: In a special released outside the main comic, its revealed Bardock had Turles with another woman. This scenario is Played for Laughs.
- During a tournament in Planet Vegeta, Raditz's opponent grabs his tail and he begs for forgiveness, only to trick him by surprise and defeat him, just like he would eventually do in Dragon Ball Z.
- A doctor tells Raditz' group of Kakarot being sent to a distant planet called Earth, with Turles even suggesting giving him a visit. Raditz refuses, "Who would ever want to go there?"
- Bardock goes to planet Meat. Two Saiyans even say he is going to die young.
- The Cameo: Many members of the Frieza Force like Appule and Cui make appearances.
- Canon Foreigner: All the Saiyans introduced in this comic, alongside Raditz's team member Rycelo. They don't survive.
- Combat Pragmatist: Raditz Establishing Character Moment is tricking the opponent down while begging for mercy, and then Turles grabbing the kid's tail during a cloud of smoke giving Raditz an opening.Raditz: Huh? There are no rules in war!
- Continuity Snarl: The doujinshi has continuity issues regarding Raditz design. In the series lore, Saiyans are born with the same hairstyle from the moment they are born, but Raditz has bangs as a kid. This can be forgiven due to Vegeta's design as a kid in the Z anime having the same problem.
- Implied Trope: Turles has a normal skin color as a child, but this contradicts his gray skin in his movie. Toyble is implying the fruit may have something to do with his skin change.
- Lack of Empathy: Raditz, being unaware of the situation, tells Nappa and Vegeta he needs to return to Planet Vegeta. Nappa and Vegeta grin and tell their whole race were annihilated by a large meteorite and then laugh about it.
- Mythology Gag: Rychelo wears an orange bandana, the same as Pan in Dragon Ball GT.
- The Stinger: Turles is revealed to be alive, holding a spiky fruit.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Played With. Bardock thinks Raditz was killed alongside Turles and Rycelo due to Cui's messages on the transmission, motivating him more to take down Frieza after the death of his comrades. Turns out Raditz survived by hiding.