Once Upon a Time, in a tiny little kingdom surrounded on all sides by larger neighbors, ruled a benevolent prince named Evan. The little kingdom flourished and the subjects loved their prince as much as the prince loved them. However, his castle has caught the attention of Francis, The Great Emperor, who wants to claim it as his own. Francis sends his greatest warrior, The Black Knight, (who is also his little brother, Marcus), to use his fearsome and deadly skills to kill "the King" and take over his little kingdom. And so, Marcus, along with his talking horse, Brandon, rides to the little kingdom to carry out the dirty deed. But, when Marcus arrives at the castle, he is surprised to learn that there is no king, only a humble little prince who immediately falls in love with him. Thus begins a romantic comedy story about a prince and a knight who find themselves in a mind match of chess where one will "checkmate" the other.
Read the webcomic here. The comic is not complete and only two chapters are available.
The comic does not update frequently, about once or twice a month but it is worth a read especially if you love the visual design of a children's storybook.
For other works similarly titled "Doki Doki", check the Doki Doki page.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Animesque: The facial expressions, blushing and Unsound Effects.
- Badass Adorable: The kids when they attack Marcus. It takes a lot of guts for children to take on a notorious assassin.
- The Big Damn Kiss: Takes up the entirety of page 15.
- The Caligula: Francis, the Great Emperor, who wants to murder Evan and invade his kingdom only because he loves the castle's design since it matches his boots.
- Chess Motifs: The title uses the word "Checkmate" and there are chessboard designs on the website and in the comic. Evan and Marcus have opposite personalities and appearances. Evan, the playful one, has light skin and dresses in mostly white clothing to represent the white pieces in chess. Marcus, the serious one, has darker skin and dresses in mostly dark clothing to represent the black pieces in chess.
- Cuteness Proximity:Marcus: SO CUTE!
- The Cutie: Evan is a big ball of fluff who is constantly cheerful and warmly kind towards everyone he meets, including his own assassin.
- Disappeared Dad / Missing Mom: Evan's parents, the King and Queen, are never mentioned. Same with Marcus and Francis' parents.
- First Kiss: Evan kisses Marcus within seconds of meeting him.
- Funetik Aksent: Brandon the horse "tahlkth lihke thith" when he has a bit mouthpiece in his mouth.
- Guile Hero: Prince Evan uses his charms and wit to woo Marcus into falling in love with him rather than kill him.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Evan, to fit his charming personality.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Evan, to fit his cheerful innocence.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Evan spends most of his time in the castle with only a few servents and wants to go out and talk to the people of his kingdom.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Marcus the Black Knight" and "Brandon the Soul Chewer".
- Non-Human Sidekick: Brandon the horse is Marcus' sidekick.
- Oh, Crap!:
- When Evan first encounters Brandon.
- The red-haired boy when Evan tells him that he will tell the boy's mom what they did to Marcus.
- Perpetual Smiler: Prince Evan, it's easier to count all the times he isn't smiling.
- Primal Fear: Prince Evan fears horses because he believes they will just trample everyone but when he meets Brandon, who is a talking horse, he assumes that Brandon has no intention to trample him.
- Puni Plush: The art is very smooth, with almost no straight lines and is full of vibrant colors, resembling the art style of a children's storybook.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: As frivolous as Evan may seem, he reasonably scolds the children for attacking Marcus (with good intentions).
- Straight Gay: Evan and Marcus.
- Talking Animal: Brandon, who is the only talking animal around and Prince Evan implies that there are also non-talking horses that aren't allowed in the kingdom because they could trample everyone.
- The Wise Prince: Evan knows how to play the cards and has Marcus wrapped around his finger.
- Tsundere: Marcus is Type A for Evan.