A military webcomic similar to Air Force Blues, about the men and women of the 89th Bomber Squadron, AKA "The Mad Cows". Drawn by an active duty officer in the US Air Force, it abruptly got put on hiatus, with the author preferring not to discuss the specifics of why. As of March 2009, it is back online at www.thecrewdogs.com.
Tropes in this webcomic include:
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Possibly what lead to the comic's hiatus, although the author prefers not to discuss it.
- Blatant Lies: A bomber is seen coming in for a landing, parts falling off, two engines on fire, plowing into the ground, ripping a wing off and bursting into flames. The crew (unharmed) inform the mechanics that there are no mechanical problems with the plane, and ask if they can go home.
- Cannon Fodder: The bomber commander in the second strip of this page intends to use his fighter escorts as this.Bobby: Escort does not mean SAM-bait d***-it! GET BACK HERE!
- Crossover: With Air Force Blues, several times.
- Due to the Dead: The author pays tribute to some friends who never made it back.
- Expy: Barkatraz AFB is an Expy for Barksdale AFB
- The Inquisitor General: A Running Gag in the comic was the Inspector General being a Lawful Evil sort of guy who would schedule his inspections to interfere with holiday leave, and who was evidently capable of Offscreen Teleportation.
- Mildly Military
- Must Have Caffeine: The main character had such an addiction to Red Bull, it almost gave him a heart attack. In his early 20's.
- Shout-Out: The squadron's building is infested with Rodents Of Unusual Size. They have been known to reach down from the ceiling tiles to grab unsuspecting airmen and officers.
- Spit Take: Calvin does this into his girlfriend's face when she tells him that she wants to marry.
- Uncancelled: Back online as of March 2011.