The comic stars roommates Quat (a tomato/persimmon/kumquat person) and Pik (cyclops rabbit thing) and explores LGBT themes and adult responsibility.
Now with a character page that Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Coupon Kids contains examples of:
- Cast Full of Gay: The majority of named characters are some form of LGBT.
- Cyclops: Pik has only one eye.
- Dead Pet Sketch: Sunny's pet cat, Halibut Jones, dies while Pik is house sitting. Not wanting to deal with her finding out, they and Quat scramble to get enough money to buy a replacement.
- Disabled Snarker: Pik, and to a lesser extent, Sunny.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Alaska first appears in-comic in Quat's dreams.
- Fictional Counterpart: All businesses (such as IHOPPY), are fictional. Except for Fuddruckers.
- "Friends" Rent Control: Pik and Quat live in a two bedroom apartment, despite their shoestring budget.
- Friends with Benefits: Pik and Acy are this, though Pik prefers to keep interaction outside the bedroom to a minimum.
- Funny Animal: About half the cast is this, such as Sunny (dog) and Honey (frog).
- Furry Confusion: Honey has a pet cat even though she is an anthropomorphic frog living in the same world as talking cats and dogs.
- Genre Savvy: Sid, talking about Quat and Pik respectively.Sid: You're the boring mellow one—Quat: Hey!Sid: And you're the manic pixie dream one.
- Handicapped Badass: Sunny, to the point of killing a sewage demon with their cane.
- Loser Protagonist: Pik and Quat both qualify.
- Mean Boss: Quat's boss, Mr. Tonic. He's fired them multiple times, only to ask them to cover another employee's shift the same day.
- Non-Human Head: The other half of the cast is this, such as Quat's fruit head, or Acy's onigiri head.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: When scratching lottery tickets, Quat manages to win $200, more than enough to buy a replacement cat for Honey. As they raise their arms in celebration, an eagle snatches it from their hands, leaving them with no more money than they started.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Pik's intense hatred of "some guy named Sid".
- Surreal Symbolic Heads: Word of God says that the characters are all humans, and that their appearances in the comic are just representations of them.
- That said, characters will still make reference to their appearance, such as Pik pointing out that they do only have one eye.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Sid. Lampshaded by Pik.Pik: He just admitted whole heartedly to us that he has like, no sense of individuality or self. Don't you feel bad?
- Urban Fantasy: Shades of it. Beyond being a world of object heads, Pik possesses limited shapesifting, demons live in the sewers, and Oolong has been said to dabble in dark magic. Quat's paranormal studies professor also disappeared under mysterious circumstances.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Pik and Quat have known each other for 5 years before the comic. When asked what they like about Pik, all Quat said was "They pay rent."