The plot follows Chimalli Ramírez, a racing driver who finds himself stranded in another dimension after veering off track during a sudden rain storm in his debut race for his new team. Unsure whether he hit the wall or actually went through the strange glowing green portal, he just wants to get home and finish the race.
Soon after his arrival in the Maze, the realm of dreams and corridor between the Otherworld and the mortal realms, Chimalli is attacked by demons. The Order of the Gate is there to bail him out, and after rescuing him, their leader asks him to help them defeat the demon-lord Shoxoth. He's not interested.
[Corner the Maze] contains example of:
- Ancient Evil: The demon-lords, especially Gornorath.
- Asexuality: Shoxoth's first two offers to Chimalli fall flat for this reason.
- Bad Liar: Chimalli tries to lie his way out of several situations. He's really bad at it.
- Cannot Dream: In the Maze, nobody dreams.
- Damage-Proof Vehicle: Etalpalli, in the Maze. It's actually a guardian spirit taking the form of a car.
- Deal with the Devil: All bargains offered by demon-lords, especially the Never-death.
- Let's Get Out of Here: Several times, usually said by Chimalli to Etalpalli.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Etalpalli.
- Our Demons Are Different: They're spirits that reside in N'g'lerat and range from powerful demon-lords to mere monsters. Most have wings, scales, feathers, or other animal attributes.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Like Elke and the rest of the Order of the Gate, some people who die don't make it through the Maze to the Otherworld. They effectively become ghosts.
- Place Beyond Time: Time has no meaning in the Maze.
- Sentient Vehicle: Etalpalli, at least in the Maze.
- Spirit World: The Maze.
- The Cavalry: The Order of the Gate at the end of Volume I, when the Bargain is about to be concluded.
- Too Many Mouths: Garlathax.