Chuck and Beans was a gag-per-day webcomic created by the cartoonist Brian Gordon (who also made the webcomic Fowl Language) about the daily lives of two best friends, a geeky rabbit named Chuck and a dog named Beans.
Shoebox Blog, the website that hosted the webcomic, is no longer available, but mirrors of most of the comics can be found easily.
Tropes found in this webcomic:
- Bait-and-Switch: Beans calls Chuck on the phone, saying the girl from accounting finally asked him out. He gets a response of "IT'S A TRAP!" Turns out Chuck had Return of the Jedi playing on a high volume when Beans called him.
- Christmas Creep: Several of the comics involved the store selling Christmas decorations in October. To give one example, one of the comics had Chuck making new Halloween-themed lyrics to the "Jingle Bells" song due to this. "Jingle bells, corpses smell, werewolves eat your face!"
- Comically Missing the Point: Chuck says the only evidence of Hitler's dead body that researchers had was a skull, which they found out is actually from a young woman. Beans' reaction to this statement? "Hitler was a CHICK?!"
- Damsel in Distress: Discussed in one of the comics, where Chuck says the amount of damsels in distress in video games is ridiculous, and apart from Metroid he can't think of any classic-era games with a strong female protagonist.
- I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham: Both played straight and inverted at once. Chuck is skeptical about going to a Comic-Con convention while Beans is eager to go. When they actually make it to the convention, Beans comments that the attendees are weirdos while Chuck excitedly says "Beans... we're home!"
- The Insomniac: Chuck ends up losing any sleep he would otherwise get when he tries to do work on the computer at night.
- Name and Name Chuck and Beans is the names of the two main characters.
- NOT!: Chuck and Beans successfully travel through time to 1992, where they attempt to post a tweet and a Facebook update about it. After noticing they aren't getting any reception on their phone, a nearby squirrel kid responds with "Way to think through all the implications of time traveling to the 90's - NOT!"
- Time Travel: Chuck and Beans travel to 1992 in one comic. They attempt to post about their achievement on social media, only to realize that they wouldn't get any reception on their phones in this time period.
- White Bunny: Chuck is a white bunny.
- World of Funny Animals: No human characters here.
- You Make Me Sic: To get more views on his blog, Beans posts a blog post with an intentional typo in it after Chuck says the internet never ignores grammar and spelling errors. In the blog post, he says "Their's been a few things on my mind lately", which people notice almost immediately as this results in the blog getting 300 angry comments, the blog's server going down, and an angry mob appearing outside of their house.