Carpe Diem is an anthropomorphic webcomic created by Graveyard Greg and Redkam. The story is a gay-themed serialized drama concerning the daily lives of a circle of young adult friends at a gymnasium and at their homes. The title is from Latin Carpe Diem, which means seize the day. The comics primary target audience is the furry fandom. Carpe Diem is currently available at CDComic.com.
Graveyard Greg is the principal writer. The first four chapters are illustrated by Redkam, with two-thirds of the second chapter and four pages of the fourth chapter illustrated by Vince Suzukawa. Chapter five is illustrated by Kevin Mitternacht Wilcomb, with additional material illustrated by Sasuga. Chapter six is illustrated by Longtail, creator of Apollo 9, Coons, and Gemini Bright.
Colorists also play a very important part of this comic. After all, without them, it'd be in black and white. One such colorist is Katayama, who did some of the coloring in Chapter 2, and Shadow Wing, who colored some of Chapter 4, the bulk of Chapter 5, and Chapter 6.
Though the story is gay-themed, it does not contain much adult content, instead focusing mainly on issues of love, friendship and feelings. In this way, the story resembles a soap opera. The series seems to have gone on to become an Orphaned Series sadly, due to some issues surrounding the comic such as a lack of artists and other factors. There are rumors of the possibility of the series being continued, however. But nothing concrete yet. However, on Januray 25, 2017, the author finally announced that they will be finishing the comic in novel form, with chapters being released on his Patreon.
This webcomic provides the following tropes:
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: Trent had hoped that he could just come back into Burt's life, but discovered that during his time away Burt had started a new relationship.
- Amicable Exes: Despite them not dating, Burt and Trent are for the most part really friendly with each other. Likely due to them both still having feelings for each other.
- Art Shift: The comic is drawn by various artists.
- The Atoner: Kevin
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Initially there seemed to be some vitriol between Burt and Kevin, but is soon shown that the two men are dating one another and are quite happy with each other.
- Big Beautiful Man: Burt and Rodney
- Bi the Way: Kevin
- Blind Date: This is how Rodney and Ken ended up coming together. Josh had decided it was time for his friend Rodney to get out and date so he set him up with Ken.
- Character Development: Kevin is the most notable example so far.
- Chubby Chaser: Ken is quite attracted to Rodney and his physique, though he isn't solely attracted to chubby people. Kevin even made mention of Chubby Chasers earlier on in the story.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Many of the characters in this series have had a tendency of eating up the eye candy that surrounds them. Ken even mentioned during one of his workouts with Keesha that he enjoys all the hot men, and Keesha mentioned how she felt the same. Except for her it was women.
- Even the Guys Want Him: This is the same reason why Josh is Mistaken for Gay.
- Fat and Proud: Rodney is completely fine with the fact that he is overweight. In fact he finds that he looks attractive in his own way because of it. His boyfriend Ken seems to agree.
- Flowers of Romance: Ken has on a few occasions brought flowers to Rodney.
- Forceful Kiss: Trent did this to Burt, who was far from pleased with him doing that. Especially since Burt had decided to stay with Kevin.
- Geek Physiques: Rodney has this due to his life style of surfing the net for most of his days.
- Interspecies Romance
- Love Triangle: Kevin and Trent both want Burt. This would be an example of number three on the Triang Relations entry page.
- Mistaken for Gay: Poor Josh. During the interlude, when Josh was telling Burt about how Ken hit on him, Burt said "Lemme guess another gay guy asked you out? That makes the third time this month, and you're not even tryin' to be a stud."
- Not Using the Zed Word: Averted in the Halloween special.
- Offscreen Breakup: We are made well aware of the fact that Burt and Trent had broken up, but it is never fully shown on screen.
- Sex with the Ex: Trent attempts to do this with Burt, who is not too pleased with his attempt.
- Slice of Life
- Small Name, Big Ego: Kevin starts off with having a large ego, which most of the other characters find annoying. As the plot progresses though, he gets better.
- Trent too has quite the ego on him. When he was younger he convinced a friend to pretend that the night club he was taking his brother to was only for adults. Trent did this to keep up the appearance that he could do anything in font of his brother.
- Straight Gay: Burt, Ken, and Rodney. Trent is an arguable case, but he has many Camp mannerisms.