In the autonomous city of Graymark all crime is punishable by death, even if its just spitting on the road. The city is divided into six Blocks all controlled by a powerful Administrator whose job it is to find criminals and kill them. By far the worst district to live in is Block 5 because of the overzealous and over powered Administrator, Great. A man who will stop at nothing to eradicate any and all crime. Its in this crazy city that we find our main protagonist, a young woman by the name of Burner. Content to keep her head down and just try to make enough money to get out of Block 5, Burner spends her days as a punching bag for the elite rich people slumming it in Block 5.
Burner's life changes though when she sees a young boy being kidnapped by an "Anteater" professional kidnappers who steal children for various reasons, none good. Showing off her prodigious martial arts skill, Burner makes quick work of the kidnapper and frees the boy. The boy runs away and feeling she did a good deed Burner goes home. But the next day she finds the boy has been killed by Great for stealing a teddy bear. In a rage she goes after the man, sick and tired of all the death and fear she has had to live with. Now she vows to stop Great once and for all.
Burning Effect is a Korean Webtoon created by Tae Hyeon Park and published on the webtoon site Daum.
Tropes Present in this work
- The Ace: Great, he is so powerful that no one can control him and being able to just survive an encounter with him is considered an impossible feat.
- Ax-Crazy: Great does not actually qualify, as while he is kill happy he only kills those he believes deserve it. Drian on the other hand just wants to be the strongest and will kill anyone in his way to prove it.
- Berserker Rage: Burner can tap into an unholy amount of power the more angry she gets, but on the other side she also loses control of herself until she becomes a raging beast and has no memory of it when she's calmed down.
- Dirty Coward: Cigar and then some, he makes a living as the leader of the child kidnapping Anteaters. He is cocky as hell when he thinks he's in control but he nearly wets himself anytime someone remotely strong comes after him.
- Playing with Fire: Burner and Pound ignite their aura with blue flames when using thier martial art.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The redness of Burner's eyes is a good indicator of what level of berserk she is at.
- Split Personality: Drian between a Ax-Crazy psychopath and a cold blooded monster, the way to tell which is in control is if his eyes are purple and he's acting polite. If that happens you should probably run.
- Villainous Valor: Great, as crazy as he is, he actually does have a code he honors, he will kill a criminal no matter what, and while often it can seem petty and evil, he will also go after high ranking officials abusing their authority. Its also shown he really does believe what he does is for the greater good.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Xevolts goal is to change the status quo of Graymark without taking a single life.