Bits Fair is a shonen-inspired fantasy/adventure webcomic. It's a fairly slow-paced story with beautiful artwork, a rich setting, endearing characters and an intriguing plot.
The first chapter starts by introducing us to the main character, Irya, who has been training hard to get to go to the Autumn Fair, but ends up failing the assessment on whether he's fit to go there thanks to a bout of stage fright. And then everything changes due to the appearance of a mysterious man who kills one of the in men the village.
The second chapter introduces us to the co-protagonists: a spunky girl named Ananda, who is being sent off to the Autumn Fair because there is nobody else to send off, and an old lady named Hira, who arrives in Ananda's village one evening and the first thing she asks is whether their village has any twelve-year-old warrior-boys.
The comic could formerly be read over at http://bitsfair.com and it updated every Tuesday, but the domain seems to have expired.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Irya's bullied by his cousins and doesn't seem to have any friends in the village.
- Battle Aura: Exhibited only by Sanjay so far.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Ananda is the boke and Irya is the tsukkomi. Except for when both the kids are boke, then Hira becomes the tsukkomi.
- Blade Lock
- Cool Old Lady: Hira.
- Constructed World
- Decompressed Comic: The story moves slowly because the comic is quite decompressed.
- Dramatic High Perching: Why does Sanjay move around by jumping from cliff to cliff? Because he's a bad guy, that's why.
- Dual Wielding: Ananda's opponent at the end of chapter three dual-wields daggers.
- Fantasy World Map: Find it here.
- Girlish Pigtails: Ananda wears these.
- Goal in Life: Irya wants to go to the Autumn Fair, become a warrior, be “hired forever” and never have to go back home.
- Hairstyle Inertia: Irya has always had the exact same hairstyle, no matter how far the flashbacks go.
- Idiot Hair: Irya has a massive case of this.
- Mind over Matter: Irya and Ida's dad have mindlymoving powers.
- Offing the Offspring: Ananda's mother sends her daughter away because she's worried that the elders will want her to do this.
- Performance Anxiety: Irya gets this at the worst time possible.
- Psychic Powers: So far exhibited by a bunch of characters. Irya and Ida's dad have shown abilities of telekinesis (or mindlymoving), while Ananda is able to make someone unable to move their body.
- Scenery Porn: Oh so very much, all over the place, giant panels full of scenery. Exhibit A. Exhibit B.
- Slashed Throat: The way Ida's dad gets killed.
- Speechbubbles Interruption
- Sword Fight
- Touch of Death: Sanjay has it.
- Tournament Arc: Not a single-elimination tournament, though.
- Unsound Effect: "Halt" "Turn" "Push" etc.