Beardy Bastards: a dwarf story with axes, beer and a lot of grumbling... but in space?
In a far future where humanity has colonized huge parts of the galaxy their gazes are greedily locked even further at the distant stars.Grand schemes are unfolding on a galactic scale and epic wars are waged that effect untold billions... but some parts of humanity are ignored or simply forgotten.
One such part of humanity are a collection of planets at the galactic core. Mostly consisting of cold giants of stone and metal with raging and lifeless surfaces.
Descendants of miner settlers still survive here in underground settlements. The harsh conditions and high gravity of these planets has slowly changed these tough settlers. Short and stocky of build and rough of character to match the conditions they live in.
And while they live dangerous and hard-working lives they are generally content to be ignored by the rest of humanity. Considering themselves safe in their underground strongholds from outside interference — or so they think.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Alien Invasion: No alien threat has ever penetrated our defenses. In a worst case scenario well have weeks to prepare for any actual conflict. High Command -Official report 2.055.14
- Artistic License Gun Safety: The author admits holding and using a flamethower like this would be stupid in real life. But hey, Rule of Cool!
- Eye Awaken: here.
- Genius Bruiser: Thekki is a geologist, Stromni is a retired bio-engineer, and Brokk is a mining engineer. In fact, only one member of the cast is a (retired) soldier by trade.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Lokhar demonstrates his here.
- Insectoid Aliens: AKA Fearless alien killing machines intent on devouring you whole! Welcome then and eat some lead! BLAM BLAM BLAM!
- Older Is Better: Duh. Thats typical dwarven spirit. Like The internet has grown soft and feeble! In my younger days I could use all the naughty words I wanted to, damn it! *grumble*
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Except they have space travel and guns, and are descended from humans..
- Our Orcs Are Different: Lokar comments the swamp the party crash-lands in smells like them.
- One-Way Visor: here.
- Rule of Cool: Lampshaded here.
- Schedule Slip: last update was Christmas day 2012
- Shout-Out: The commentary for this page implies the webcomic got started up from the concept of the Squat species of Warhammer 40,000... if the bolt pistol in the picture for this page didn't make you wonder anyway.
- Shouting Shooter: Lokhar with his flamethrower here.
- Space Elves